Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can't get glue off top of new wood floor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:23 pm 
New User

Installed glue-down engineered wood floor. Installers did not clean glue as they went and now can't get it off. They've used every solvent/glue remover they can find--Nothing works! They said they have NEVER "NOT" been able to remove glue. Floor has aluminum oxide finish. I'm thinking it might even be a chemical reaction.

What is solution? Take entire floor up and put in new planks? Sand and refinish? Contractors will make it good, but I want to find out info/knowledge from pros. I'm sick about possibility of sanding off the aluminum oxide finish, which makes it so durable.

Thanks for any help as soon as possible!

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:48 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

The best urethane adhesive remover I have found that won't harm the finish is Bostick's Adhesive remover. Get the liquid form, not the towels. And use elbow grease. Another option that I have not tried is "Goof-Off". This is a all purpose remover and MAY damage the finish so try it in an out of the way spot. And IMO, I would not accept a refinish of a brand new floor, especially an engineered one. Those types of floors sometimes only have one sanding available. If you use it now, you won't have it for the future. Plus you'll lose your alum. oxide finish, as you already mentioned. If they cannot remove the adhesive to your satisfaction, I'm afraid the only remedy that would be acceptable to me is complete removal and replacement. If they can get most of the adhesive off and all that is left are smudges, you may get by with a re-coat of a quality floor finish like BONA Traffic. This would be superior to a complete resand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:39 pm 
Prized Contributor

Be sure after you have used a good adhesive remover like bosticks, to follow up with a good clean terry towel with some regular floor cleaner to get up left over residue.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:09 pm 
New User

Wow...since I am new I won't rip....Sounds to me like you need to get the installer of your floor involved in cleanup they are responsible for in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:40 pm 
Worthy Contributor

They will have to carefully scrape the entire floor with a razor. It is a very time consuming process but it can be done. You apply glue remover to the areas and then go back and scrape the area by hand with a razor at a 45 degree angle.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:37 pm 
Prized Contributor

I bet the glue is gone at this point, and what is left for the eye to see is where the adhesive etched the factory finish, leaving a dull spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:32 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Perry, please explain this etching from the adhesive. I think I've been plagued by this before myself. So if one misses that 24 hour deadline for adhesive removal, it etches a permanent dull spot? Is this correct? No remedy? Replace or recoat only remedy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:30 am 
Prized Contributor

That is pretty much it. There are solvents and chemicals in moisture cure urethane.

Post subject: ANSWER - Can't get glue off top of new woor floor
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:30 pm 
New User

WE FOUND AN ANSWER!!! Mr. Clean Majic Erasers!! VERY VERY time consuming, but rubbing the eraser over the glue AND over the "spots" that seemed to become a part of the wood (you couldn't even feel the spots) -- took the glue off!! Very labor intensive. A bunch of teenagers came over and worked various areas of the floor. Did not have to tear up the 800+ square feet of wood floor to redo!

Post subject: Re: Can't get glue off top of new wood floor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:00 pm 
New User

October 7, 2020
Hi all. Leaving my comment here for future people who encounter this issue. after my hardwood floors were installed with glue, there were glue stains all over the floor. some were huge! we tried all kinds of thinners, adhesive removers, goo off, bostik wipes and the liquid, you name it NOTHING WORKED. I saw in another thread to use a magic eraser so as our last skeptical option we bought one. IT FREAKING WORKED!! you have to rub and rub and rub but I found out that if you dab the bostik wipes on the spots and then clean it off with the magic eraser, the spots come off so much faster.

bottom line. Magic eraser and bostik wipes are a blessing for this problem.

The magic eraser must be dry when using. If it gets wet it won’t work at all

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:22 am 
New User

These things will be considered. Baton Rouge Fence Company

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:30 am 
New User

I'm sorry to hear about the situation with your engineered wood floor. It sounds like the glue was not cleaned up properly during the installation, which has caused it to harden and become difficult to remove.

If the contractors have tried multiple solvents and glue removers without success, it's possible that the glue has reacted with the aluminum oxide finish, as you mentioned. In this case, sanding and refinishing the affected area may be the best solution.

However, before going this route, I would recommend consulting with a professional flooring contractor or installer who has experience with engineered wood floors. They may be able to suggest alternative solutions or techniques for removing the glue without damaging the finish. It's also possible that they may be able to identify the type of glue used and recommend a more effective solvent for removing it.

If sanding and refinishing is necessary, the contractor should be able to ensure that the aluminum oxide finish is reapplied correctly to maintain the durability of the flooring. They may also be able to match the color and sheen of the existing finish so that the repaired area blends seamlessly with the rest of the floor.

Ultimately, the best course of action will depend on the specific situation and the advice of a professional who can assess the damage and recommend the most appropriate solution.

Profile E-mail