Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Problems With LW Flooring
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:02 am 
New User

Has anyone had problems with LW Flooring?

They are basically an importer of hardwoods from China. They are based out of Gainesville, Florida.

We purchased them and per the specifications (and sales people) were told that it was a first rate product (not seconds) and that it had been tested and were "CARB Compliant" for formaldehyde. In retrospect, I didn't even know what that meant but after the Lumber Liquidators thing we were concerned.

We installed 2500 square feet of the hardwood and it has been a nightmare. It is delaminating and pops and squeaks in over 27 different spots. (We have them marked with tape)

LW Flooring SAYS that they have a 50 year warranty but that is garbage as all they do is send a "third party inspector" out who is in their back pockets to blame it on the installer.

We have spent $1000's now trying to get resolution and after our FOURTH inspection, the inspector decided to really do some investigating on the floor.

Upon taking off the backs of the wood, we have uncovered black mold AND using a FD08 Digital Formaldehyde Commercial grade Meter we are finding our Formaldehyde levels off the charts.

My installer is now telling me we need to hire a restoration team with Hazmat suits to come in and have this stuff removed?

LW Flooring is doing NOTHING! I have now spent over 30K, have a wife that is completely nervous and a floor that is torn up and is now seemingly unsafe.

What now?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Problems With LW Flooring
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:17 am 
Prized Contributor

Find a construction litigation lawyer who knows flooring.

Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:59 am 
New User

Most of the lawyers I am speaking with are telling me 1-2 years and to get used to the floors.

Still have health concerns too?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Forget the lawyers.

Local TV news programs love these kind of stories especially considering the amount of money spent. You could simply bluff the manufacturer with it first.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:44 pm 
Worthy Contributor

If the company is a member of the BBB file a complaint there. Another option is to contact the Consumer Protection Division of your State Attorney General's office and file a complaint there. Both BBB and Attorney General's office will contact the business and mediate on your behalf. Both will ask you what you would like from the business e.g. $, replace product, etc. so save some time and figure this out before you contact them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

I've seen this same question (original poster) on several massage boards the last few days, but no follow ups by drshort. It could just be someone with an axe to grind with the manufacturer and the information provided is exaggerated? Responses on other boards are good. None of us know the real extent of the problems.

Pictures would be helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:46 pm 
Prized Contributor

Ken Fisher wrote:
I've seen this same question (original poster) on several massage boards the last few days, but no follow ups by drshort. It could just be someone with an axe to grind with the manufacturer and the information provided is exaggerated? Responses on other boards are good. None of us know the real extent of the problems.

Pictures would be helpful.

Seen that as well Ken, no response as yet. But if the issues are real they have a case. Against who? Thats yet to be resolved,.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:25 pm 
New User

No there was no ax to grind with the manufacturer.

This is a very real situation that is going to litigation unfortunately.

I WILL say this - if you are a consumer and you are told there is a warranty on your Hardwood.

It is BU$%HIT.

They will do everything to fight you on it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:24 pm 
New User

This is the response to the homeowner, Mr. Justin Campo. He has posted the same information on different message boards.

Please view the picture at http://i59.tinypic.com/ac77sk.jpg, if you can not see it, please refresh the web page.

On June 9, 2015 LW Flooring received email communication from a member of Prosource of Pinellas regarding claims of “tapping” and “delaminating” of recently installed 3/8” Engineered flooring. Communication continued between an LW Flooring representative and the member of Prosource which resulted in Prosource requesting an inspection to be scheduled by LW Flooring. The request was processed immediately by LW Flooring and the inspection was scheduled to take place on 6/16/15. The first inspection concluded in no evidence of delamination of planks and no manufacturing related concerns indicated in either the wood or the adhesive. The findings of the report also mention discovery of several hollow spots throughout the floor which are suggested to be a result of an unlevel subfloor.

Upon receiving the first inspection report, the homeowner's installer scheduled a second inspection. It is worth mentioning that LW Flooring has received inadequate report information in the past from the individual who performed the second inspection. The second report clearly states no evidence of delamination yet still concluded the issue to be manufacturing related without sufficient supporting information. After reviewing pictures provided on the second report, including pictures of what the inspector claimed to be “adequate” bonding between the bottom of the plank and the adhesive used by the installer, it was confirmed by the adhesive manufacture that enough glue was not transferred to the flooring planks during installation. Therefore, the issue was again believed to be an installation related concern and not a result of defective material.

LW Flooring requested additional information and a third inspection was expedited by Prosource of Pinellas. The third inspection also found no evidence of delamination and incorrect adhesive application. The conditions of concern were determined to be installation related in the third report.

The homeowner later submitted a fourth inspection report which included test results for mold and formaldehyde levels and Mr. Campo seems changed his original concern from crack and pop of the floor to other issues like Formaldehyde level. The report states installation related fault for the initial issues presented by the homeowner and formaldehyde levels within acceptable industry standards. Centek Laboratories recorded formaldehyde levels were labeled as “ND”; “Not detected at the reporting limit”. The report provided which pertains to mold fails to note if the mold is living or has been previously treated during production which would prevent the regeneration of the substance based on APA(American Plywood Association) documentation.

LW Flooring has remained involved in this process since the first mention of concern in order to provide a quick investigation of the issue at hand. Based on the findings of several reports, we feel the concern is installation related and continue to stand behind the integrity of our products.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:33 am 
Site Admin

Finally! At least one picture. By the looks of the adhesive spread and areas that didn't adhere to the hardwood and slab; wrong trowel used. Is the delamination claim coming from this picture?

I was expecting delamination from the top. If anyone has torn out a glue down floor this is what happens. Splinters, etc galore.

Poor or no floor prep is also where the pops and squeaks come from. I don't think I've ever heard any of that on a flat and properly prepared sub floor.

I'm not siding with anyone yet, but the favor is going to LW for now. Anybody put a straight edge across the floor?

Thanks for the followup LW. Tell Jim P. I'm waiting for him

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:15 am 
Prized Contributor

Inject glue where it pops.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:35 am 
Site Admin

I was going to add my Youtube video on the subject but I'm sure it must be a major issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwBoU2iCWDE

Great actors in the video eh?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:00 am 
New User

Yes. The subfloor prep work was done very poorly. All 4 inspection reports says the subfloor with a 6’ straight edge showed it is out of flatness by as much as 5/32” to 5/16” in 6’ and as much as 1⁄4” in 10'.

As for delamination, they could not show any board with delamination.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:50 am 
New User

It is also worth to mention again the Formaldehyde level posted at Mr. Campo's message, he said "using a FD08 Digital Formaldehyde Commercial grade Meter we are finding our Formaldehyde levels off the charts", but Centek Laboratories recorded formaldehyde levels from our planks were labeled as “ND”; “Not detected at the reporting limit”, which means that certified lab can not even detect any Formaldehyde from our planks.

If what Mr. Campo is true on his Formaldehyde testing in his house, there must be something else that releases high level of Formaldehyde inside his house, but certainly not from our flooring planks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:03 am 
New User

Correction - "using a FD08 Digital Formaldehyde Commercial grade Meter we are finding our Formaldehyde levels off the charts" -

This is what I had been advised by my installer. After spending $500 to have them tested, the wood samples we had tested came back negative for formaldehyde.

I am now being counter sued by LW for libel. In the interest of getting this particular issue off my plate I retract the statement about formaldehyde.

It is also worth nothing that I am not allowed to delete a post once someone responds to it.

I also have spent over 30K on this floor, am now on blood pressure medication , and anti anxiety and I have a completely thrashed floor that is not even remotely finished as it has been torn up 5 different times by various inspectors.

The nightmare continues...