Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1920s red orange hue stain
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:38 pm 
New User

Good evening everyone. I own a 1920s foursquare home with tongue and groove pine with a orangish red hue to it. I’ve seen this color in many homes of this period but I cannot seem to find anything that comes even close to matching. I’ve tried many of minwax products and I’ve mixed stains as well. Was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I will post a picture as soon as I figure out how to do that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 1920s red orange hue stain
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:40 pm 
New User

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisoldhouse.com/platform/amp/flooring/21015479/refinishing-school

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 1920s red orange hue stain
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:33 pm 
Prized Contributor

I think you should be able to get close to the color using shellac with a dye mixed in. Many older floors were sealed with shellac (use de-waxed shellac) that had color mixed in, or using Garnet colored shellac. Universal sealer is shellac. You can buy powdered colors that you mix in then strain before application. If the floor is sanded for a stain, which means no large scratches, you can coat the floor with a lambs wool applicator after your helper cuts in around the edges with a brush. A 16 inch applicator block with a pan so you can dip it in to cover large areas at once will be the best method. You only have one chance to spread an even coat so the color is good. You don't need to worry about lap marks if you go with the grain from wall to wall carefully in 2-3 foot wide strips.
After the one coat of colored shellac you can coat with oil based poly-urethane varnish which adds an amber or yellow tone.
Garnet shellac may have been the color that was used originally, but may have wax in it and could affect the adhesion of poly-urethane.. Mix your color to match with the right powders.

Profile E-mail