Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2x8 White Pine over post & beam...fasteners?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:46 am 
Newbie Contributor

Just picked up a 2K ft install (loft) over post & beam, 48" centers. I've sanded quite a few of these but never installed @ 48" centers. This floor will be finished on bottom side only but will have ocassional traffic on top. Can anyone give me some fastening ideas? My thoughts...subfloor glue + 16d galv finish nails.

Thanks
Chris
Terrawood

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:05 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Are you to install the SUBFLOOR? What I mean is, is there anything down now or are just the beams exposed? It determines which material you can use. If there is nothing down now (just beams) you need to use a 2 by T&G stock. These are normally 1&1/2" thick by 5&1/2" wide, made of ponderosa pine (here in CA.) but could be anything. Often times, there will be a groove on the surfaced side. Put the groove and surfaced side facing down for the ceiling below and the rough side up for the second floor. If they want the second floor sanded and finished, then it's ready to go. Consider prefinishing the planks on the smooth side. Much easier to do on sawhorses than after they're installed overhead. Your idea of gluing and toe nailing through the tongue with 16's is the recommended way, I believe. You could use screws after piloting a hole first I suppose. Make sure to allow the material to fully dry before installing OR get it KD. Similar to installing decking except you'll have a T&G. You'll need a "beater board" to pound the planks together. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:43 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Gary

The provided material is 8/4" x 8" Eastern White
thx...c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:15 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

If it isn't T&G, there will be major problems! Never heard of 8/4". Generally, when material is listed as, say, 5/4 stock, that means it started out at 1&1/4" BEFORE milling and after milling, the NOMINAL size is usually 1" or so. Same deal with 2x4's. Starts out at 2x4 and after milling, it's 1&1/2" x 3&1/2"s. So the wood your getting is probably 1&1/2" x 7&1/2" nominal size. Good luck on that install. Sounds interesting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:30 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Forgot to mention that it is T & G nominal 1.5" x 7.5" KD
I'll post a pic when it's completed.
take care
c.