Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 6in long lengths hickory handscraped
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:39 am 
Newbie Contributor

Ok I hope I got this right . I have been trying for a while so I better have. My 10 yr old daughter went with me to do a final coat on a floor and she took pics. I promised we would post them at as she calls it that place I hang out at now. AKA the forum . So here is a link to a blog I am starting. You should be able to look in the upper right corner and view her photos . I hope . The floor is 6 in hickory hand scraped unfinished. I screened it to take out anything I needed to water poped she said she wanted dark. She changed her mind last second and I ended up using 1 part spice to 2 neutral mix did not rescreen just left floor open and the results well you decide. The pics are before the final so there is 1 stain and 2 poly . I really am proud of the access hole to underneath the house it came out nice. First one I got to do with a radial arm saw and , well right tool for the job I suppose. I told my father we needed one a long time ago. He gets my point now. http://360.yahoo.com/rb2b1965

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:50 am 
Prized Contributor

That is a beautiful floor Rich. You should be very proud of that one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:09 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

I like the color. And the floor. I'm guessing you got the wood already scraped, right? I didn't realize you could get it scraped and unfinished. What is the advantage to that, if I may ask? Just to be able to dial in the color on site? Did you lay the floor as well? Solid or engineered?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:56 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thankyou very much. The advantage well I think it had something to do with the scaping pattern was the one she liked the best and yes being able to get the color she wanted turned out to be a big plus . If she would have gone with a prefinished product she would have gone with a color she ultimatly would not have liked . She said she wanted it dark and well you see what we went with its definetly not dark especially for a water poped floor . Most of all I think that the very long lengths was something she really loved. As for me well I like them now but installing them was a work out. She also liked the butts and there being distressed as for me I like them now but staining the floor was miserable. Getting the stain down into them was a night mare it was a job that honestly kicked my a... but looking back at it I am proud of it . Very. It was appreciated by the customer and her joy over it was a big reward and now hearing from my peers makes me smile all over again thankyou very much . But I think most of the credit should go to the wood itself it really is a pretty species. :D I forgot to answer Garys guestion . It is a solid wood floor . It is extremly heavy and dense it can burn a blade up in a heartbeat .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:19 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Very nice. I like the way you make that guy disapear, too....i'm doing a six inch hand scraped of the same product Wednesday. Hope it turns out like yours did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:34 am 
Newbie Contributor

Thankyou if it is the same stuff the long lengths can be a pain unless your in the wide open in my case even in the open there were floor outlets always something , If I may ask have you done this stuff before? How are you finishing it ? I am just curious how other may do it . I gave away my secrets now come on folks everyone share LOL thanks again I am sure it will come out great.
SK Olson wrote:
Very nice. I like the way you make that guy disapear, too....i'm doing a six inch hand scraped of the same product Wednesday. Hope it turns out like yours did.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:09 pm 

All the hand scraped I've installed has come prefinished. The cost difference is minimal between unfinished and prefinished and way less than I could do it for on site.

Post subject: I agree the cost would be minimal
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:04 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I agree the cost would be minimal. But to me there is something that looks different about finish in place . Nobody said her floor was cheap LOL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:22 pm 

Sorry Rich, I guess it didn't register with me that is was 3000 ft. Yea, you could make some money on finishing it on site. I was thinking it was a smaller job, like 600 ft. And if the manufacturer only only charged a buck a ft more for prefinishing, then I'd get it prefinished. I also see that the customer needed to be able to dial in the color on site; something you can't do with factory finished. And I know about Blackhawk. Have worked out there many times. Done dozens of homes there. Makes ya wonder what they do for a living, doesn't it? As I said before, nice floor and nice work. BTW, I got a 2700 ft American Black Walnut install coming up in Danville. Custom engineered flooring, handscraped as well. It's going over radiant is why it needs to be engineered. Being milled by New Beginnings in Southern California.
http://www.newbeginningsllc.com/html/en ... _wood.html
On this one, I'm getting it factory finished and if the customer wants, I'll apply an additional coat after the install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:50 am 
Newbie Contributor

You seen that one huh . I tried to take it back I have a tendency to put my foot in my mouth often after all these years of doing so its still tough tio take it out . I checked with the boss / my father as to why we did finish in place it did have something to do with money after all. The cost would have doubeld so my father the genius that he is figured we would finish if instead for half the cost of the manufacter we made out very well on this one about time he got one right . :D I knew you had to have worked in Blackhawk. Have you been out to there latley. I hadnt been for several years . Holy crap where are all the pepole gona drive and I hope they got very big sewer pipes . That is ridiculous why woul anyone buy out there . Inside the gates sure its quiet beautiful outside its crazy I wouldnt mind getting in on all the prefinsh thats going in those places though. But I think a company out that way has it sewn up pretty tight .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:16 pm 
Prized Contributor

Nice!! and I hate the handscraped look :lol: Anyway I have to ask why the hole in the floor, you doing work for a magician or a smuggler? Looks good I really like the color.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:31 pm 
Newbie Contributor

KevinD wrote:
Nice!! and I hate the handscraped look :lol: Anyway I have to ask why the hole in the floor, you doing work for a magician or a smuggler? Looks good I really like the color.
I am not a big fan of it mytself. I cant imagine having to keep it clean all the s..t would get all stuck only god knows where. I dont know if somehowI gave the impression I scraped this floor . Oh hell no. I got paid decent but nowhere near enough to scape that heavy and that much . The latest in vouge thing at least around my area Northern California is this hand scraped look . Totally in vouge someone somewhere probably some frickin decorator ( no offence to decorators hell my aunt is one and my dayghter wants to be ) or some salesman got it to the right person and it has taken flight. Here is a good tid bit about this imparticular floor the owner of the house said to me , after seeing it finished "Do you think I made a mistake in my choice of material " I smiled and lied my ass off . What was i suppose to do tell the truth I was taught . Sorry mom Thanks the color is my favorite part well next to that dam trap door .Its an access hole to get under the house this is a very very big house and one cannot access everywhere one might have to go under there due to the foundation blocking access. There are 3 such holes in this house . Its frickin huge . Fit atleast 50 of my trailers in it . thanks again :D

Profile E-mail