Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: aaggh blue painters tape
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:26 pm 
New User

I read several sites that said to use painters tape to keep boards together. I did and when I pulled the tape up it took the finish off with it. Anyone know of an easy fix??? Luckily I only tried this method at the end of the job on a small section. Would putting a small amount of urethane in those areas work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:55 pm 
Prized Contributor

It has to be 3M tape, I forget the stock number. Your only suppose to leave it on, for less than 24 hours, any longer and finish damage can occur.

Replace the boards that are effected. You will never get a finish match.

Long ago, I used regular old yellow masking take and left it on for days, and never had an issue. Now it seems the finish adhesion, is not what it was years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:59 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
Long ago, I used regular old yellow masking take and left it on for days, and never had an issue. Now it seems the finish adhesion, is not what it was years ago.

Could it be that much of the pre-finished wood flooring today is MADE IN CHINA! :roll:

Post subject: LOL..
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:59 am 
Worthy Contributor

Not sure if China's got anything to do with it....at one time or another I've had problems with everyone's. I guess maybe it is China's fault in a way....everyone else is trying to get by cheaper so they can compete with the imports.

Austin, it's 3M #2080 for delicate surfaces....look for the orange cardboard core. And you're right, even it can pull a good finish if the conditions are right.....the sooner you can get it off, the better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:38 am 
Prized Contributor

The only time we have had probs with the tape is in conditions of sunlight heating it up, and if we have left it on for too long. Generally, I instruct my installers to remove the tape within a couple hours of application, and if the installation isnt complete at the end of the day, to use a "false wall" to hold the floor in place over night.