Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ?? about hardwood stairs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:50 am 
New User

After 5 years in our new home, we are tired trying to keep the carpet clean on the stairs. I want to go with hardwood stairs. I want wood treads and white risers. I have no idea what to look for or ask when talking to contractors. Our foyer is hardwood and I know we need the stairs to match the existing hardwood. The carpeted stairs have plywood under them. One person told me over the phone that they finish the wood that is there. I am not sure if this is what I want. From reading this forum, I noticed someone mentioned having treads and risers installed over the current steps. Can someone give me some information about the differences in installation or tips on what to ask or look for. Also, I live in Maryland and we have 14 steps-----any idea of an estimated cost for this area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:10 pm 
New User

I was just going to ask a question about hardwood and stairs!!
I am thinking about getting engineered floors (possibly BR-111 Timborana) and I have done a lot of research on stairs. I want the "whole stair look" with the wood on the actual step and risers.
I have gotten rough estimates anywhere from $30 per stair all the way to $100 per stair. The majority of the installers say around $80. I was shocked! I knew that stairs were labor intensive, but I had no idea they would charge that much extra!!

I am trying to find an independent installer and then I'll order my product online. That seems to be the way to go.
I was going to ask what people charge or have been charged per stair on this forum. (Again, I have checked several forums, but I am all about research!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:15 pm 
New User

I have 14 steps. I have received phone estimates for doing the entire step in wood since I am not absolutely positive that I will choose to do the riser in white. So far I have estimates ranging from $1875 to $3010. That is a big difference. The $1875 said that is with Bruce wood product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:04 pm 
Prized Contributor

I just dropped off some prefinished Muskoka, ¾" White Oak to acclimate, and ripped all the carpet up out of the rooms, and the staircase.

You need stairnoses, to use flooring on the steps.

If the ruff framing on the steps, has the tread over hanging the riser below. You can cut the nose off, or fur it out.

I'm furring out on this paticular set of steps.

It also has a box step at the bottom step where I have to do returns and a short section of the sides.

The steps are straight up.

I'm charging $20 per step to pull carpet, tackstrip and staples.
I'm charging $20 per step for furring out the bullnose, plus any materials
I'm charging $50 per step to install the flooring, with the bottom box step @ $100. Gluing and fastening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:41 pm 
New User

Floorguy, this may sound like a stupid question to you, but what exactly does that mean to "fur it out?" I've installed cherry hardwood in 3 downstairs rooms so far and I am planning on doing the upstairs. I would like to do the stairs as well, but I'm not sure how I want to do it yet. I've already ripped the carpeting off. The existing treads are pine and are mortised into the stringers. The 7 top stairs are closed on both ends into the stringers, but the bottom four are open on the one side. I'm currently planning on cutting off the nose of the pine treads, adding 3/4 in plywood on the risers to help cover up the mortised holes, then adding 1/4 in veneer on risers, which will be painted white along with the stringers. Since the bottom four treads are open on one side, I'll have to add a facing to the outside of the lower portion of the stringer supporting those open ends and then miter the veneer risers into that. Then I'll add unfinished cherry boards (3 1/2 or 4 inch ) and nosing.

I've considered just sanding down the treads, staining and sealing them, and then just install a runner down the stairs, but cherry on the stairs would look so much better to match everything else.

What does "furring" refer to and would that be better?

JK8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:21 pm 
Prized Contributor

Quote:
What does "furring" refer to and would that be better?

Instead of cutting the nose off the ruff framed tread. Furring or ADDING to the riser, to bring it out even with the tread overhang.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:17 pm 
New User

Got it. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:12 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Original poster has not specified whether he wants prefinished or solid treads. Big difference in price and appearance. Using flooring as treads is cheap and will show as much over the years. Solid treads are much more labor intensive, will last the life of the house and look cleaner. (assuming they are available in your species)
You also need ot consider the skirts, if you need them.
One standard price for years in shops I managed and owned is $150 per tread and riser in solid oak, including sanding and finishing. $100 per tread only. All treads screwed and plugged. No plywood veneer risers! One shortcut to cut price is using 5/16" as risers. If customer wants oak skirts, price goes up quickly. You do get what you pay for.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:04 am 
New User

I want solid wood on the treads and the risers. My stairs are closed in on both sides. I am not really sure of the color of the hard wood of my foyer. It is not a dark wood color. It looks like a medium colored wood. I want the treads to match and I would like white risers. I want something that would last, so I assume that white risers can be placed over the existing risers. Is this correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:18 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I would just like to mention that at some point, almost all hardwood stairs we've had experience with, we've been called back to put carpet on (normally a runner). In fact I only know of 2 that we haven't.

Most people just feel more secure on carpet. If you want wood, just cap the sides and carpet the middle. Or for the price of wood, carpet the stairs 4 times in the same lifetime.