Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Abrasion... how much is enough or too little.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:56 am 
New User

I'm doing this by hand as both the places that rent buffers near me don't have any available until late in the week. I'm doing 2 floors. Floor # 1 is pine that has been stained with Bona Quick-Dry with 2 coats of Bona Mega and a final coat of Bona Traffic. I'm abrading with 120 grit screens until the surface was thoughly scuffed and white powder is everywhere. I think I might have even over abraded a bit frankly. The 2nd floor is white oak which got Duraseal and also gets 2 coats of Mega and a final coat of Traffic. I'm sanding this with 120 grit screen as well but the finish seemed much harder generally and I had a harder time of it. Both floors, when looking at it from an angle with an overhead light showed the scuffing but it's somewhat uneven.... thoroughly dulled in spots and still a touch glossy in other spots. They all got the screen, I made sure every square inch of floor met the screen but having never done this before and being very wary of adhesion issues I need to know what the goal is. Is it just a basic scuffing and scoring. Or do I really need to dig in hard and heavy and get off a good percentage of the previous coat? I spent 7 hours screening 1200sq ft of floor and just about collapsed afterwards but I'm committed to doing this right.

I'm actually just finished with the Mega coats and am going to do the Traffic coats probably on Tuesday or Wednesday. So it might be too late in any case but confidence going into the final coat would be helpful.

Thanks in advance! - Philip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:32 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

You'll probably be fine. Bona finishes are like glue. They adhere to each other very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:37 am 
New User

Yea, I'm thinking now that I probably over screened. After I vacumed up all the white powder I kinda think I'm down to the wood on most of the floor. Which seems suprising as I've put down sealer and 2 coats of mega thus far. Would have thought it would have held it's own a little better. But I really put my shoulder into it with the screening this time around because I was worried about how the mega and the traffic were going to bond since I was applying them pretty much within a day of each other. I'm guessing that the goal is really to just scuff or lightly score the finish, not actually take a bunch of it off.

The reason I'm so worried is that the last place we lived, an apartment we rented, the freshly refinished floors flaked up like crazy in the high traffic areas. We ended up having to take it out of our deposit even though I'm pretty convinced it was put down wrong. We do have a big excitable dog that was blamed as the cause of it but it just came up too easily and we've lived in other places with wood floors that didn't have a fraction of the damage. In any case, I'm determined not to make a mistake.

We're moving in March 1st, I have a bunch of other things to do and wasn't planning on the extra money and time for another coat of traffic. But I think I'm going to have to do it. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:34 am 
Worthy Contributor

The bona rep's state that with traffic you dont need to abraid between coats (If you feel the floor is smooth enough) I use a maroon pad and 180g roll of paper (similar to the yellow stick on strips) I look around for any inperfections and hit them by hand first (I have a small 4x4 maroon pad cut out theat I place a strip on each side) Then I hit all the edges and finally buff everything.
I have coated traffic over traffic with no abrasion (my house) its been almost 3 years and no issues with the finish.
The bona rep had a whole speach about some chemical they use to promote adheasion to other products (bona ones).

But I dont use mega, I did years ago just didnt like it so only use traffic now.

Profile E-mail