Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Accent strip question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:15 pm 
Newbie Contributor

How do you instyall a thin accent strip, something like 1/4" wide. Obviously there's no room for t&g.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:35 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I have only done those 1/4" feature strips on 3/4" solid. What I do is buy 5/16" x 3/4 feature strip(normally used for 5/16" face nail flooring) from my supplier and turn it on edge. Of course you need to take the tongue off of one course of the flooring. I use a little glue and brad it to the course next to it. I saw a GC once routing a 1/4" groove into a already laid floor so he could install a 1/4" feature strip and I suppose one could do that but you better not screw up with that router. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:05 pm 
Valued Contributor

It is better to use a router. That way everything but the sliver is still tounge and groove. You need a good plunge router. One you can zero out and then dial down to the exact depth of cut.

Make two passes. If you get greedy and try to take it all in one pass,you will get tearout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:59 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Chuck, that was one of my thoughts. I had figured that I could rip the top off a groove on a table saw, so the T&G would still align, and lay in a strip after the planks were laid. or are you saying to cut a dado in the middle of the board?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:39 pm 
Valued Contributor

What ,exactly, are you wanting to do?

If you are talking about cutting a notch on the edge of a border piece,I suppose that would work. It would be a major pain in the behind,though. Plus,your boards would have to be arrow straight to avoid getting a less than perfect notch width.

Better to use a router and a straightedge. Fast ,accurate and more likely to make for perfect work. Hell ,you can make an 8 foot straightedge with a piece of plywood. A few practice runs on a scrap of plywood(or out in the floor) ,some double face tape and you are off to the races.