Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Accepted sanding/refinishing practices?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:56 pm 
New User

I apologize in advance for the length of this, but I want to be specific to get the best feedback.

I recently contracted to have approximately 500 sq ft of red oak hardwoods refinished here in Central NYS. I paid $2900 to sand, repair (3-4 individual boards), stain, and apply 3 coats of oil based poly. I don’t have a problem with the price, as it was in the ballpark with other quotes; what I do have a problem with is the processes used.

The sanding, repair, an initial buff to bring out the grain, and stain, all went well- no problems there. The stain was applied and dried overnight, and the contractor returned the following day to apply the first coat of poly. When he returned the following day (approx 18hrs later) to apply the second coat, he began cursing up a storm because it was not dry enough (despite having the heat turned up to 70, and maintaining 50-55% humidity). He didn’t exactly place blame on us, but he had never in 30 years seen it take so long to dry.

He came back the next day (about 41hrs after coat 1) to apply second coat. When I asked about buffing the first coat because of all the imperfections (particulate, bubbles, etc.) I was told that it would come out when buffed between coats 2 and 3, and that he has 30 years experience doing this, that everyone has their own way of doing things and that “Google has ruined everything because everyone thinks they know what they’re talking about because of what they read on the internet.” It was pretty obvious that he felt as though I shouldn’t dare to question him, as the professional. He went on to apply the second coat of poly.

He returned the following day (Sunday) 12hrs after applying coat 1, and go figure, it wasn’t dry enough- again. He threw another fit about wasting his time and gas to come out and though it would be dry enough later in the day, he didn’t want to come back out; and would have to come back the next day when he should be starting another job.

He returned the next day (now 45hrs since coat 2) to screen buff and apply final coat. After buffing, he shop-vac’d and was about to apply final coat. I asked about all of the very obvious fine powder residue from buffing and if he would be cleaning it prior to application. He all but threw a temper tantrum and said it would be fine and he’d never done that in his 30 years of experience. I asked why the manufacturer’s instructions call for tacking with water or mineral spirits in between each coat, and his response was “Oh, cuz they’re the professionals…” and again about all of his experience and everyone has their own way of doing things. He condescendingly added, that if that’s what I wanted, that’s what he would do…and never in 30 years had he wiped the floor down after buffing. He did ultimately wipe it down and then apply the final coat.

We’re about 7hrs into drying of the final coat, and so far it seems to look good. What I want to know (from other professionals with years of experience) is if it is accepted practice to not buff between poly coats and tack it clean before the next coat?

My understanding from all of my experience with small woodworking projects, reading “evil Google” internet info, and seemingly every manufacturer’s application instructions, is that this is a necessary step to reduce imperfections in the next coat, and is important for the mechanical bonding of coats- especially if they have dried for over 24hrs. Am I going to run into trouble down the road with adherence of coats 1 & 2 because of the lengthy dry time without a buffing cycle?

If I am off base, then please, let me know. I’ll eat crow and apologize to the contractor for my demands. Even if that is the case, I think I’d have been due more of an explanation than- years of experience, this is how I do it, how dare you question me. Maybe it’s the cynic in me, but I know that 30 years of experience can also teach what kind of “shortcuts” can get the job done to pass muster in the short term, but just isn’t of the quality that it should be.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Accepted sanding/refinishing practices?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:38 am 
Prized Contributor

If the finish looks good and you are worried about adhesion you can do an adhesion test.
Using a razor blade make a cross hatch design cutting into the finish. Then use packing tape to press into the hatched area firmly. If pulling up on the tape removes a portion of the design and the finish peels on the edge of the design you have a problem.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:14 pm 
Valued Contributor

I have been refinishing for 20ish years and very rarely buff between 1st and second coats especially with stain I don't want to take the risk of burning through.
Buffing between the second and final coat takes care of and rough spots, I also never tack a good vacuum will get any dust a little fine dust left over will just mix its way back into the poly. manufactures are just trying to cover their own asses by covering absolutely anything. I think you owe you guy an apology I also get aggravated when customers start trying to point things out before the job is done.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:22 pm 
New User

Points taken. A little explanation can go a long way…none of which was given. I guess as a consumer shelling out money, I expect to be able to ask a few questions and get some bonafide answers. Suppose we were just a little on edge to begin with after 1-2hr late arrivals everyday without so much as a call or text message. All boils down to communication.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:02 pm 
Valued Contributor

He might have been in a bad mood and depends on how you raised and or phrased your concerns with him.

Profile E-mail