Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Acclimation Time
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:02 am 
New User

Hello all. This is my first (and probably only) time installing hardwood floor. I bought some great lakes hardwood from menards a few months ago and immediately put about 14 boxes in my living room to be installed. The rest went in my garage which is on the lower level of my home. I live in louisville ky where its very humid during the summertime but around this time of the year its only about 45-50% humidity. I have kept a dehumidifier in the basement to ensure it never gets too humid. I started on the floor last week and am just about through with my 14 boxes that have been more than acclimated in my home and was really wanting to get a lot more done this weekend....planning ahead and bringing more boxes up days ago would have been the thing to do....i know.
I guess my question is....do i need to follow the acclimation time of 3-5 days even when its been indoors in my home where i have kept the humidity regulated? if theres any difference in humidity from my basement to upstairs it cant be more than 10%. Will bringing up the flooring today and laying it cause me problems?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: acclimation times
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:25 pm 
Prized Contributor

Could be a problem, been in the garage a couple months? What you really need is a good wood meter, it ain't about days it's about moisture content of the wood.

I wish Ken would put that up front in big red letters as it's a very misconceived notion.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:49 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I wish Ken would put that up front in big red letters as it's a very misconceived notion.

Where?

In the summer, garage. Could have a lofty moisture level.

One area could be fine once everything gets to normal occupancy levels, and the garage stuff? Could shrink and the inevitable gaps.

Agreed on the moisture meter and not one el cheapos at the big box stores

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:53 pm 
Prized Contributor

Ken Fisher wrote:
Quote:

Where?

In the summer, garage. Could have a lofty moisture level.

One area could be fine once everything gets to normal occupancy levels, and the garage stuff? Could shrink and the inevitable gaps.

Agreed on the moisture meter and not one el cheapos at the big box stores

That acclimation is a matter of days, not actual moisture content. It's like every salesman (with the exception of you) that sells wood says "oh just a couple days" or "a couple days and just open the ends of the boxes". Crazy stupid idiots.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:35 am 
Site Admin

You must mean this page? It must be. You volunteered your experiences AND people do heed your advice. Or those that do extensive research and are not looking for any one answer. That page is a long read and I have doubts those that are spending only $5K will not take the time to read all of it. On the other hand, those spending $40K will. The latter are usually in our age range as are most of my customers.

Btw, I do send that page link to all buyers in dry climates, if they haven't seen it already.

http://www.uptownfloors.com/preparation/acclimation.htm

Incidentally, I do put it on every contract I have signed by any buyer.
-------------------------------------
RESIDENTIAL DELIVERY - Truck cannot go onto driveway. Able bodied help must be available to offload cartons from truck. Weight per box averages 66 pounds or 3 pounds per square foot. Boxes dimensions run 96 in length. Flooring must be placed in the area where it is to be installed. Garages, out buildings and the like are not acceptable.
------------------------------------

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Classic example Stephen of what you mention. Let's Google it.

Here's what everyone sees...or at least what I see front and center. Hey if Armstrong says it..it's gotta be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:38 pm 
Prized Contributor

Ken Fisher wrote:
Classic example Stephen of what you mention. Let's Google it.

Here's what everyone sees...or at least what I see front and center. Hey if Armstrong says it..it's gotta be.

Figures they would say that. Those type manufacturers seemed geared towards DIY these days. Then the inspector comes in and shoots them down.

I like that first link with the pic of my humidifier in there!

I meant put it in a sticky just because this topic arises so much.

Profile E-mail