Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Acoustic Flooring & Hardwood install ??
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:48 am 
New User

I have been doing a lot of research and planning with hopes of doing my own hardwood install in my multi-level condo.

I finally found someone who could identify the concrete-like material that is coating the floors in my condo. It was identified as "Acoustic Flooring," and is apparently something that is applied similar to concrete.

Has anyone worked with this before to install hardwood? What installation technique would be prefferred for this subfloor? Could I do a glue-down? or would I have to do a "floating floor?"

My wife and I were all set on the Bellawood Brazilian Cherry before I stumbled onto this board. Needless to say, we've changed our mind. So, I guess we're now looking for a new source. We'll also be doing about 35 steps with the painted risers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ken.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:22 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

It sounds like you have a type of gypecrete ( a light weight concrete/cement subfloor material commonly used in multi-story buildings). You cannot successsfully glue or nail to it; So, your options are a floating floor OR a floating subfloor which you can glue or nail to. As far as the stairs, I doubt they are gypecrete as well. Most likely, they are wood. Stairs are very tricky, even for pros. If you want stairs done, I suggest a professional. You may be able to handle the floating floors yourself, if you are very handy.