Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Acrylic glue still sticky one year later. Please Help!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:06 pm 
New User

I really need help! I'll try to be brief, but I'm having alot of trouble.

In June of 2006 I had Mohawk engineered hardwood planks professionally installed over my concrete slab. A moisture test was done by the installers and installation began. Several months after installation I noticed several large gaps (app. 1/4 inch) throughout my floor and about 75% of my planks sounded hollow when tapped. The installers came out and did another moisture test which turned out perfect. The installers then sent a Mohawk representative out to my home who did another moisture test that turned out perfect. Several months later an independent adjuster hired my the installers and Mohawk came out, and again moisture levels were perfect. In March the installers pulled up several planks for inspection and I noticed that the acrylic glue was still sticky (one year later!) and that the glue did not bond properly. The installers did a moisture test (again with the meter) right on top of the sticky glue and told me that I had a moisture problem. The next words out of the manager/owner of the floorcovering business were that I had a moisture problem, unfortunately this was a homeowners issue, and that I had to pay for more than 75% of my floor to be replaced. I know that Mohawk has a warranty that covers subflooring moisture if their guidlines are followed correctly. I believe that the installers used a different glue than required by Mohawk-Mohawk required the installers to used the Mohawk brand glue (they used some kind of Bruce glue- although they claim they didn't-I saw the bucket they used) Another disturbing factor is that the woodflooring laid has been discontinued by Mohawk and there is only one or two boxes of planks left. Please help!! Am I at fault or should I hire an attorney?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:40 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Get an attorney. If they are not willing to work with you at this point, then you need someone on your side to get them to listen. I am not saying they or you did anything wrong. What is needed is an independent assessment of the situation and you're not going to get that from the installers or Mohawk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:09 pm 
Newbie Contributor

What exactly was this first moisture test? Was it a calcium chloride test? A meter (CME) test or a matt test?

Ph tests? Yes? No? Results?

At the time of installation what exactly does Mohawk require for a moisture test in their literature?

Did you or did you not refuse any sort of concrete vapor emissions retardeing system?

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:32 pm 
New User

Today I had an independent inspector come out (since the installers would not give me a copy of the one they had done), anyways after a bunch of tests he concluded that there was not a moisture problem;however, he found that the installers did not do any floor prep and the my floor was uneven. What should I do now?
Thanks for any advice!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:55 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Explain the tests he performed and how he evaluated how this slab was uneven and not prepped properly.

What would be fun is to post his report without his name fo course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:19 am 
Prized Contributor

Taylor 2071, will remain rebondable for a long time. That property is boasted by the sales reps.

I can see how the lack of floor prep, can cause the concerns you have. Look at many a month, just like that. The hollow spots, that have been there since it was installed, are not noticed until the floor gaps.

Here is how you tell floor prep was not done to spec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:35 am 
New User

Love the pic!! The lines of glue are still at pointed tips where it was not smashed down. I not sure of the name of the tests the inspecter did, but he did alot. When I get the report on Fri, I'll post without his name. I still don't know what to do. The retailer/installer is being very nasty!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:07 am 
Prized Contributor

You send them a legal letter of intent.... A demand letter.

You state in the letter very politely, that you had a contract to install your floor to manufacturers and industry standards, and to the specified areas of your home. Basically explain your contract. Again, politely!

Then explain your concerns and what has happened to the point of your inspection.

Then explain the inspectors findings.

Then explain what you need to happen to satify and make you whole again.

Then explain if they don't respond within 10 working days, further legal action will be taken.

Then take that letter to the post office and send it signature required, Certified mail, to both the store, the owner of the stores residence.

You can find out who owns the store by contacting your county courthouse