Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Acrylic Impregnation
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:17 am 
New User

Hi experts! I've read many posts here and learned a lot. Thanks to all posters! This is my first post.

Here's my problem. I live next to a pond in Maryland with extreme humdity changes. I'd love a natual wood floor but have been advised to be careful and if I do it, to make sure my planks are no wider than 3" (I want Maple or another light wood - would love bamboo too).

I've been told to look into engineered wood planks (with a real wood top layer of at least 3mm) impregnated with acrylic. Please comment on this and please suggest good manufactureres and places to buy. I'm on a budget and what little I've seen seems too pricey. I need over 2000 sq ft. and perhaps much more if I can afford it

I understand that acrylic impreganation makes the surface much harder (as much as 300x) and is often used in commerical apps. I've been a bit confused from researching this. It seems in most cases, such products are still finished with something like polyurethane and aluminum oxide BUT a few vague sources seem to indicate that you can get acrylic impregnated wood flooring that does not require finishing, i.e., the acrylic acts as the finish too or just needs oiling once in awhile. I would love a floor that requires less maintenance and does not require refinishing - or less refinishing.

What can the experts here tell me about this and what are your recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:26 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

There are a few acrylic floors out there. I think they look weird. Most people don't like them and they don't have a real light (bamboo or maple) look. Get an Award floor with the ceramic finish in maple or a S. American import that is light. Neither are cheap. If you want cheap and durable, get a laminate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:49 am 
Valued Contributor

Yeah, but they wear like iron.

No site finished floor will perform like an acrylic impregnated. They do have a funky look ,though. You either like it or you don't.

"being on a budget" will put most quality AI products out of range unless you stumble upon a deal.