Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Additonal requests on installations
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:08 pm 
New User

I am curious to know how often everyone gets asked to do additional work on installations that don't really pertain to flooring.
Recently, I was bidding a installation and the homeowner wanted to buy their own base and asked if I could install it. Obviously, not a problem.
But, the next question was if I could buy it and stain it.
Then the conversation turned into asking if I could hang their casing moulding and crown moulding and stain those too.
I can see why they would ask this but when I explained that I didn't and explained why- they seemed shocked.
Does everyone get these requests as well?
How do you handle them?

Thanks,
Ken

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Additonal requests on installations
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:29 am 
Prized Contributor

Yes, I get those request all the time. Usually after I have started the floor and almost done. They have been around me a few days, and the trust builds, where they don't trust anyone but me, to work in and on their home. I can do it all, the thing is, since I don't do that all the time, I don't know how to put a fixed price on it and hourly, just breaks even, most of the time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:21 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Yes, I've been asked to install doors, casing, crown, wainscots, and even build and install mantels. Not being one to turn down work, I'll always give them a price. But like Perry, I don't always come out ahead.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:46 pm 
New User

Perry brings up a good point- not doing it all the time almost always makes it a break even- or worse a loss.
On this same job, the subfloor under the fridge was rotted out down to the joists due to an old leak that had since been fixed. The homeowner never had the floor there fixed- he just put a big piece of 3/4" over what was left of the old subfloor and left it.
While that worked to keep the fridge out of the basement- we couldn't install the new hardwood there without the subfloor being fixed properly.
Normally, it's a pretty easy fix- cut away the old subfloor, sister in some joists to hold the new subfloor and nail in your new piece once its level.
We were tied up with all the rip-up at this point and didn't have the time to do it so the homeowner started getting quotes to do the job.
In my mind, I was thinking time to run to the store and get the materials, time & labor for the 3 x 3 area= $150 or thereabouts.
The 1st quote the homeowner got was for $200 from another person and he just lost it on the phone with the contractor. He was yelling about the guy trying to take advantage and trying to screw him for the repair. He said $100 was the most he would pay and that was it.
Once I heard that conversation- we stayed away from the repair all together and let him find someone who would do it at his rate.
Funny thing, I never thought the little difference in money for the repair would be an issue as the hardwood job was expensive and he never once hesitated on the price or to pay us when completed.
While I like to offer those services, sometimes I just don't get the right vibe from the homeowner to offer to do the work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:18 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

As a business owner, you have the right to refuse to do business with anyone you choose.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:41 am 
Prized Contributor

I deal mainly with homeowners and frequently I'm asked to take on extra work. I try to accommodate them if I think I can do it.... not every request though.

Profile E-mail