Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Advice on Bona Traffic Satin. Floorguy, gary, ken..others..
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:40 pm 
New User

I am getting ready to put down bona natural stain and bona traffic on about 350 sq. ft. of 3/4 inch red oak. In a couple of sentences can you desribe the technique I should use. Thank you for your help. I just want to do it correctly. I have looked locally for those two books but cannot find them. I bought it the bona locally.
I bought 10" padco pad, screen and 120 grit to abrade with after the first coat. I have a 6" orbital chicago pneumatic buffer I use for cars. Can I use that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Gary is the floor finishing expert here. Best we leave it up to him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:16 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Stain the floor with your neutral/natural stain and allow to dry overnight. It is the Bona DriFast, correct? Then vacuum and "tacK' the floor with a lightly water dampened lint free towel. The idea is to get the floor CLEAN. DO NOT GET IT TOO WET. Apply the first coat of Traffic with the Padco pad. If you used the pad for staining, don't use the same pad to apply the Traffic. BTW, make sure you FOLLOW THE MIXING DIRECTIONS for the Traffic. Apply a smooth, even coat. The room should be cool, not hot. No direct sunlight on the floor and no air movement across the floor. Finish needs to be cool as well. Do not overwork the finish. NO PUDDLES or missed spots but don't worry about bubbles. They will pop and smooth out. Allow to dry overnight, or a least 6 hours. Screening is NOT needed. IF you want a smoother floor, LIGHTY sand with 220 going with the direction of the grain (lengthwise). You could use a pole sander for this. I wouldn't use that circular sander thing. Then repeat the vacuum and taking process till the floor is CLEAN. Apply second coat. If the Padco pad's not working for you, try a Purdy 3/8" nap White Dove roller. Apply the finish at a rate of 450 sq. ft. per gallon. You will probably want three coats but two is minimal. Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:17 pm 
New User

Yes, it is the BONA Drifast natural stain. White/blue one gallon can with a swirl separating the two colors.
Can I use rags to apply the stain? One to apply, one to remove excess?
Turn off the ac to prevent air movement or just close the vent in the living room, b/c it does blow directly onto the floor. I also have a return near the floor as well. It uptakes air.
What pole sander do you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:15 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
Can I use rags to apply the stain? One to apply, one to remove excess?

You will need more than one rag to remove excess but yes, you can apply the "stain" with rags.

Quote:
Turn off the ac to prevent air movement or just close the vent in the living room, b/c it does blow directly onto the floor. I also have a return near the floor as well. It uptakes air.

Turn it off when you get ready to apply the finish. Keep it on till just before application. When the finish is nearly dry, about three hours, you can turn it on again.

Quote:
What pole sander do you use?

I do not use a poler sander. I am a professional and use a flooring buffer designed for use on a floor. However, Traffic does not need lots of between coats sanding. A pole sander would be an inexpensive, option for a DIYer and a smaller floor. Available at most places sheetrock supplies are sold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:26 pm 
New User

Just finished putting on the first coat of traffic. Wow does it look goood! Thank you for all the help, especially gary, I will post pics when done. I am going out to buy my third container so I will do three coats.