Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Advice on finishing Red oak floors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:03 pm 
New User

Two years ago I installed 800 SQ.ft of flooring in our home. I was hesitant about sanding and finishing the floors myself, so I hired a professional. I didn' t do much research, just trusted the finisher.
I wanted a "natural" finish. He said that a natural stain was not needed, that polyurethane would be fine. It's been 2 years now and the floors have turned an ugly orange color. I think this may be due to him using an oil based finish.

I am in the process of installing unfinished red oak in our hallway and loft area upstairs and do not want to make the same mistake again. Will water based polyturethane prevent red oak from turning orange?

What are the proper steps to ensure a lighter natural finish?

Thanks,
Nick

Post subject: water base
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:17 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Any non yellowing water base polyurethane will do. I use Synergy made by last n last...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:21 am 
Valued Contributor

Using a natural stain would not have prevented your current prob. Its all in the urethane. They used a cheap bucket of finish. The waterborne by Benjamin Moore /Last-n-last/whatever. Is a good product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:02 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

ALL OMU's (oil-modified urethanes) regardless of quality or price, will amber over time, some more quickly than others. Not all waterbornes are ambering free (Bona's Mega and Basic's Emulsion will amber somewhat). Read the labels and literature carefully. Bona's Pacific Strong and Traffic will not amber (but can get bleached out if in direct sunlight) A waterborne with UV inhibutors might be good if you get lots of light on the floors. Basic's Street Shoe has a UV inhibutor. Bona's Traffic is perhaps the best finish available today (yes, I know, it is debatable) There are other very good, not so well known brands ( Vermeister and PoloPlaz ). I don't see that the flooring contractor did anything wrong.