Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Advice for new home hardwood install requested...please!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:48 am 
New User

Hello all. I am about to install 3/4" solid oak x 3-1/4" Somerset pre-finished hardwood in my new home. I have installed around 5 or 6 installs in my day with solid hardwood flooring before but never between multiable rooms like this.

I have all the equipment and have let the wood acclimate...the subfloor is about 1.5% within the moisture content of the wood (6 and 7.5 % respectively).

I plan on using 1.5" staples in a Bostitch MIII nailer and I have a nice 15 guage finish nailer that I will also use as I have in the past.

I attached a floor plan the Foyer and Kitchen are tiled (outlined in red) and I circled in orange where I plan on installing the hardwood. The blue lines are where I plan on starting installing the hardwood with numbers to indicated which and when. I wanted to turn a piece of 3 1/4" at where the hardwood meets the tile on the south side of the tile in the foyer and kitchen (#3 and #1 lines in my picture).

My questions are on where to start (I am thinking #2) and how to correctly tie in the with the factory tongue and grove for the pieces that I would like to have perpendicular (#1 and #3)to the tile where the hardwood interfaces with the tile that has been installed.

My plan is to install #1 against (gap for sanded caulk that matches grout) the tile in the kitchen. Install #2 with the tongue and grove in #1 and perpendicular to #2. Then install a spline in #2 and run both ways thru the family room to the dining area and in the other direction into the dining room. When I hit the dining room I would install #3 and tie into the factory tongue and grove. I would like #1 and #3 to be full pieces as mentioned above. I figure that I will have to adjust where I install #2 so I don't have any silvers (or as few as possible for the 7 walls and two tile edges (east side of kitchen and foyer).

I am looking for thoughts and feedback on my plan. Is there an easier or better way to do this?? I have thought about it and I cannot find one but admittedly I have never done 4 rooms like this that all need to connect.

http://www.thefloorpro.com/community/attachments/hardwood-and-laminates-q-and-a/28020d1478653250-advice-new-home-hardwood-install-requested-flooring.jpg

http://www.thefloorpro.com/community/attachments/hardwood-and-laminates-q-and-a/28021-advice-new-home-hardwood-install-requested-foyer.jpg

http://www.thefloorpro.com/community/attachments/hardwood-and-laminates-q-and-a/28022d1478654176-advice-new-home-hardwood-install-requested-kitchen.jpg

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood