Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Advice needed after install
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:00 pm 
New User

Hi
We just installed wood floors in our house, (glue down method, engineered wood). After the install, as I was sweeping the floors, I noticed that in one room there is a large area that has bouncy planks. I have read in other posts that these areas are generally caused by the subfloor being not level, but most of these posts are from floating floors. Is there possibly another reason for the bounciness. I didn't notice any dips in the floor in this area prior to install. Additionally, what is the best way to fix this problem? Thanks in advance for any help.
--Stacie

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:16 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

What type of subfloor do you have? If it's wood subfloor underneath, you could try nailing the "bouncy" planks down with finish nails. If it's concrete, use the glue injection method. BTW, this is the installer's responsibility. Or did you DIY?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:40 pm 
Valued Contributor

Assuming your floor is glued to Concrete, The DriTac injection system is the best option.
As Gary stated, Whomever installed the floor is responsible for this repair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:40 pm 
New User

Thanks for you quick reply. It is under a concrete subfloor. Yes we had an installer do the work. He should be coming today to look at it. I am so happy that it could possibly be fixed with a glue injection. We were thinking that he would have to relay the boards. Thanks again for your response. This board is a wonderful wealth of information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:52 am 
Newbie Contributor

Hi Sagljlz, We had the same probelm. It happened twice before our contractor was finished with our remodel so since we had not paid him yet...it was easy to get him to send his sub to perform the necessary repairs (via the injection method). After they injected the glue, they taped off the section and we had to stay off it for 24 hours. After that both areas were fine. Since the contractor has been paid and is out of our life...four additonal areas of buckling and bounciness have developed. I keep calling them and they keep telling me that they will send someone but I don't think they ever plan to make the repars, knowing, I imagine that it will cost more money to initiate some kind of a small breach of contract thing in court then simply admitting defeat and hiring someone else to make the repairs (or have my husband try his hand with the injection kit). If I can reach ONE person with this message, I will be happy ... search for a good, competant hardwood installer (not unlike the fine people who contribute to this board) Do not go through a construction company that subcontracts all the work..you just don't know who you will get or whether they have any integrity when it comes to making corrections after the job is finished. Good luck to you!