Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Advice with new floor scratches
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:24 pm 
New User

I'm a hardwood flooring novice and need some help from the experts.

We didn't have any hardwood floors at our last home to maintain but we just moved into a new home with Brazilian cherry hand-scraped flooring.

We have a 70lb labrador retriever and a toddler so I'm sure some wear and tear is inevitable but I want to know if there's any proactive steps I should be taking to reduce the damage.

I've been keeping my dogs nails short and we're going to try out the soft claws product but I'd like to know what my options are in regards to adding a more protective finish to the floors and/or getting an oil-type rubbing finish that I could use to repair scratches as they happen.

Here's a picture of the floors, I have no idea how the previous owners kept them looking so good.

There are a few gaps between the planks so I assume that means that they were prefinished rather than finished in place?

If they were prefinished does that limit my options on applying any additional finish?

We've only been living here a couple weeks and have tried to be very careful but there are already a few scratches. I suspect many more of these are on the way.

What would you recommend that could add extra protection or make repairs and touch-ups easy enough to keep the floors looking as good as can be expected?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Advice with new floor scratches
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Drobes:

Don't fret. You're like thousands of other new hardwood floor owners. Unfortunately nothing is going to prevent scratches from animals, but hey can be minimized with what you mention. Yes, you have a prefinished floor where trying to find added protection will not get you far with what some may think is more durable. Plus it would void any warranty you may have.

It's a shame you don't have something more rustic that hides minor damages just like what you're seeing. Types like rough sawn or character hardwoods with an rougher surface or antique appearance.

As for scratches that go into the actual wood (pic#4) and not minor surface scratches, any dark colored stain will work, even stain pens. Just make sure you wipe away any excess immediately when applied. I would not fret about the minor ones as it will drive you bananas eventually.

You could also find the popular spots where Rover loves to romp and add area rugs there as well. Then there's always the backyard doghouse.

Quote:
I have no idea how the previous owners kept them looking so good.

Could be they were installed to get a quicker sale so nobody really lived on it?

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail