Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Air fitting
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:22 pm 
Prized Contributor

I think this was brought up in the past, but here it goes.

I bought a new pneumatic stapler, to tackle an up comming ¾" install, and get away from the manual relic I have, that rarely gets used. I rarely get a ¾" nail down.

Well anyway, it takes a 3/8 chuck, instead of the more common 1/4.
I just realised it didn't come with the air fitting. I have only found 1/4" stuff.

Where to look? I don't want to go back to the distributor and ask for a $2 fitting, and pay $15, if they even have it for the tool they sell.

Where to find a 3/8 air fitting?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Sure it's not a 7/16" install? There is a guy in Austin that bought 1000 sf of BR111 7/16" Tiete Chesnut from us that was going to call you. Lot's of steps too! He said you did some carpet for him five years ago.

Do they have a Northern Tool near you?

http://www.northerntool.com

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:48 pm 
Prized Contributor

KDFisher wrote:
Sure it's not a 7/16" install? There is a guy in Austin that bought 1000 sf of BR111 7/16" Tiete Chesnut from us that was going to call you. Lot's of steps too! He said you did some carpet for him five years ago.

Do they have a Northern Tool near you?

http://www.northerntool.com

No Northern Tool here. I was figuring an auto parts store.

No, not 7/16. It is a Muskoka ¾. I have a Senco stapler for that flooring.

He called me way, before he ordered the floor. I gave him your URL, along with Steves place, and a couple of others. I told him if I supplied it, I'd be getting it from you or Steve.

The 7/16 is sitting in San Antonio as we speak. It will be in Austin tomorrow, but because of his vacation schedule, won't be delivered to his house, until he gets back. I scheduled with him 7-11 start date. :D

I put carpet in a rental property he had here, 2 years ago. He lived in Colorado at the time, and I did everything over the phone, without ever meeting him.

His name was very familiar, but his face was not. I had to pull up my old contracts to remember what it was I did for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:18 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

My Bostitch M111 FS also has a 3/8" female inlet. You need to get a reducer. That's what I did. All I could find was brass, which is fine. I use teflon tape on my fittings as well. Should be able to find a 3/8" male with a 1/4" female reducer. Then your 1/4" air fitting will work just fine. Here, we have OSH that has just about everything but I don't know about Texas. Costs about $.75

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:23 pm 
Prized Contributor

Thanks, Gary!

Now that I can find easy.

I figured there was a reason for the bigger fitting and the tool working properly.

First time i have ever seen an air tool take a 3/8 coupler fitting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:44 am 
Worthy Contributor

Hey wait a minute. The MIII has that larger fitting because it requires more air. Your 1/4 hose isn't adaquete(according to Bostich). You should have a larger hose and you wouldn't need a reducer. They are available at most any hardware store here.

Which reminds me, yesterday nailing down a poorly nailed subfloor I put a ring shank through the middle of an expensive hose with the framing nailer. damn.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:15 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Don't ya just hate it when stuff like that happens! BTW, not using 1/4" hose. My hose is 1/2". It's the air fitting itself; the couplers if you will. And the thread size we're talking about, not the size of the fitting. I used to think it would matter how the tool would operate if I switched from a 3/8" nipple to a 1/4". Then I saw my generals all using 1/4" on their framing nailers so I tried it on my nailers and ya know what, worked just fine. Under pressure, I don't think it matters whether you use a 1/4" or a 3/8" coupling. At least that has been my experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:37 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I was at HD today looking at air hoses. They have every imaginable fitting combination.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:06 pm 
Worthy Contributor

If you go into the section of the hardware store, where they have the bins, with the drawers of the odd ball, cotter pin, nylock nut section, you can find the adapter you need. Mine was an alloy jobbie, cheap enough. Getting tougher to find those kind of stores, where you can buy just one, of what you need, and not a blister pack, or box of 12...