Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Another BR111 gapping question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:02 am 
Newbie Contributor

Ok, I have BR111 3/4 tigerwood installed in my dining room. I am getting gaps up to 3/16 of an inch. I purchased the wood in mid November and installed in late December--more than enough time for acclamation to the room. Went together tight-no problems. Now we dont use the dining room that often(maybe once a month), use the kitchen most of time, but when I went in yesterday is when I noticed the gaps.

Now underneath the dining in the basement is a woodstove--could I have anwsered my own question here?? is that the problem and if so hopefully the gaps will go away in summer.
FYI, I have on site finished floors on my 2nd floor and do not have any of these symptons--this is the first prefinished that was installed.
I live in Pa. if that makes a difference.
Thanks in advance for replies.
bill g

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:49 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Gaps in floors during the winter are usually due to the lower RH caused by the heating system and the lower humidity outside (depends on where you live; Michigan vs. Florida). Anyway, to avoid gaps, you need to maintain the same RH year round. Also, that furnace under your floor may very well be the cause. Extra steps are supposed to be taken when installing over a heating unit to prevent the floor from getting over heated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:17 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Gary, thanks for the reply. As for the extra steps, there is a finished ceiling in the basement below that room, should I maybe rip it down and put some kind of insulation in there. Or basically am I making a mountain out of a mole hill and just live with it during the heating season. I figure it should ( i hope) go back to where it was or as least the gaps should lesse.
bill g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:39 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

No need to rip down a ceiling. Nofma calls for extra 30 lb.asphalt felt over a "heating plant". All one needed to do was install some extra felt there to help insulate the floor from the heat. Fiberglass batts in the ceiling probably are better though. Hope your floors return to normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:59 am 
Newbie Contributor

Ok, thanks, now I know.'
bill g