Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Another Subfloor Question
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:54 am 
Newbie Contributor

First, I want to thank you all for this board. Its an invaluable resource for the consumer and has answered many of my questions already. I've be a long time lurker.

We will be installing a Kahrs floating floor as part of a whole house remodel in the next 3-6 months and I'm trying to get my ducks in a row.

Our subfloor is 3/4" (possibly 7/8") T&G Plywood on top of 2x10 joists 16" OC. It is topped with 3/4" particle board (gasp!) underlayment throughout. This was extremely common for late 60s through 80s construction in my neck of the woods (KY). Now, I know that particle board is no good for much of anything. But for a floating floor installation is it ok to just screw it down real good and leave it? If this were a nail-down install it would obviously be gone in a heartbeat, but what about for the floater?

If it does have to be ripped out, would I need to put down another layer of plywood over the T&G or could the Kahrs just be installed right on top (with their approved combo underlayment, of course)? Adjacent flooring heights aren't really an issue.

Apreciate your advice. I want to do it right, but like everyone else, don't want to do more than is necessary.

Ryan

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:26 pm 
Prized Contributor

You picked the perfect floor and installation method, for installing over particle board!!!

Only thing with screwing particle board, the screws drive right through it. Boring a hole.

Wide staples ( ½" ) are the only way I have found to secure particle board tight. Staple between your stance, so your weight pushes the panel down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:19 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Floorguy,

Thanks for your response! I appreciate your expertise.

Ryan