Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anyone heard of Masterline?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:08 pm 
New User

Hi! I just had my red/white oak hardwood floors stained with 2 coats of ebony/dark walnut. They are a really nice, dark, rich color. My floor guy uses masterline oil based poly in a satin finish, but I can’t find much information on this product. Of course I don’t want them to look dull, but I also want little to no shine to go with my industrial glam decor. I have read that different brands with the same sheen look different (i.e. one brand may look more matte while another brand may look more semigloss. different shine %’s or something).

So, my questions are….
Is this a good product to use on really dark floors?
Is oil based poly better on darker floors?
I have read that oil based polys will add an "amber" look to the floors. I like the color they are now and do not want the poly to change it.
Will there be very little shine to their satin?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of Masterline?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:24 pm 
Prized Contributor

Oil based poly will amber depending on what oil was used to modify the poly-urethane. The ambering can look green on a dark floor because of the blue/ yellow color combination from the black/"blue" in the darker stains and the yellow from the poly. You may be happier with a water-based finish in a matte gloss, which is very low luster. Any finish can become shinier with traffic, especially stocking feet, over time as they become polished.
Water-based poly-urethane will b e practically colorless, is tough and comes in several gloss levels. It can be considerably more expensive. Using a 2 part water-base will get you the most traffic resistant finish.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Anyone heard of Masterline?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:46 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I haven't heard of Masterline, but you may find this article helpful on best brands of poly.

http://theflooringgirl.com/hardwood-flo ... mmend.html

Usually on dark floors, we would use oil based because it looks much better/gives you a darker look.

BTW, you should do 3 coats poly, and it should only be 1 coat stain for proper adhesion.

Debbie Gartner

Profile E-mail