Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ANYONE Tried anepoxy based coating on Laminate flooring?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:48 pm 
New User

Has anyone tried applying an epoxy based protective coating on laminate flooring?

We have about 500 Sq Feet of laminate flooring in part of our living room, and we have reciently had additions to our pack of small dogs that haven't quite got the knack of wiping their muddy/wet paws prior to venturing onto the laminate flooring.

The two fold problem of their wet trackings and our attempt to keep the floor clean has led to locations where the top layer of the laminate has lifted.

I have about 300 sq feet of the same laminate flooring stored away that I can use to replace the damaged areas. However the existing circumstances don't appear to have a forseeable ending.

So I have wondered about coating the floor with some sort of protective layer. And an epoxy coating with a hardener has been used on table tops and bar tops as well as floors to protect them.

But I don't know how laminate flooring would react to this treatment.

So I am hopefull that someone here may have some information on this subject

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:54 am 
Prized Contributor

Sounds like defective flooring. Have you thought about filing a claim, into the manufacturer.

Post subject: No, the flooring is not defective,
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:05 pm 
New User

:roll: No, unfortunately, the flooring is not defective. :?

We live on a farm, and with activities outside the house taking most of our time, our dogs have free run to enter and leave the house whenever they wish through a small pet door.
Unfortunately this means that during rainy days, as well as spring melting, the dogs can track water into the house when we are not quickly available to clean it up. So the water sometimes sits for a while before we return to the house and discover it.
And water seeping between the boards has a tendency to lift the edges of the top layers of the laminate.

That's why I have considered coating the entire floor with some sort of waterproof coating. The only concern I have is would the coating seep between the boards and seperate the laminate layers. And that is the reason I am wondering about an epoxy based coating with a hardener to create a layer of protection above the flooring, without penetrating between the boards and lifting the edges of the laminate.

:idea: And I was hoping that someone here may have tried this and could offer some advice. (Aside from tearing up the entire floor and putting down something else)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:35 pm 
Prized Contributor

Oh, by lift, you mean swelling blisters. I took it as the top was separating and delaminating from the core.

Post subject: Re: ANYONE Tried anepoxy based coating on Laminate flooring?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:30 pm 
New User

I have the exact same question, we have a 550sqft area and have had some issues on the edges with blisters...Its in a 4 seasons reception area and we even used a commercial grade laminate yet still had issues (shaw) I have filed a claim and they agree'd to replace the material only.

My question is, What type of expoxy product could I use to coat this and not have it ruin the flooring?

hind site, I would have done expoxy flooring but i'm commited now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:13 pm 
Prized Contributor

Are these "laminate" floors you all are speaking of like a "Pergo" type laminate or engineered hardwood? Some people confuse the terms.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:20 pm 
New User

floormeintucson wrote:
Are these "laminate" floors you all are speaking of like a "Pergo" type laminate or engineered hardwood? Some people confuse the terms.

Pergo style, click together type

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:57 pm 
Prized Contributor

Ok, no you do not want to put any finish on top. Nothing will stick. To waterproof the joints I use click-seal over at http://www.cal-flor.com. http://www.cal-flor.com/flooring_access ... alant.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13772863@N08/7488098988/

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail