Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anyone using Clarke OSB 18 or similar square buffer ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

I ask because i just bought an OSB 18 off ebay for problematic floors like Parque,herringbone and floors that like to splinter under normal buffers like southern yellow pine or very old and beaten floors.

UPS managed to bash up the driver which seems to be cast aluminum iwth the plastic pad holder adhered to it.

I put a wrench on the main plate to take it off but turning it turns the whole motor. Do you know the procedure for taking off the driver plate ?

I checked Clarke USA and the online manual covers nothing about it :cry:

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:48 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Sounds as if it will need to go into the shop. I never removed that rectangle driver. Seems it should be removable though. And I have used that exact machine before. It is one heavy sob. It did what it said it was supposed to. What I found was great was buffing between coats. A square buff doesn't leave spinner/circular marks that can sometimes be a problem. It is somewhat slower to use but the weight of it helps. I cannot say about using it to sand wood. I only used it to buff between coats as I prefer to hardplate with a circular buffer to do wood floor sanding.

Post subject: plate removal
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:06 am 
New User

The way to do it is: you need to remove the 4 bolts on top that hold the rubber grommets and then use an impact gun to remove the bolt. The motor can not turn as fast as the impact. I have done it a hundred times. If you have any electric tool/pneumatic nail gun questions just post on here and I will try and answer them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:02 pm 
Valued Contributor

It wasn't very easy but the impact gun helped.The cam shaped piece and sealed bearing force you to use straight bars to gently pull the driver off of the main frame. Then I had to use a hammer with a piece of pine to persuade the bearing to come out.Then it all has to go back into the new driver.Took about 30 minutes

Profile E-mail