Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: applicators
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:33 pm 
New User

I know this has been talked about before but please bare with me. I am going to finish 30 tables, cherry stained dark walnut, 36" x 48" with varathane 900 gloss. I have tried both the varathane synthetic lambswool applicator & just now a short pile 3/16" , on 3/8" foam, synthetic pad by "allpro".
After using all the prepreping methods I have heard of I still get "hairs" coming off, all be it on the "allpro" they are shorther & a smaller diameter. Will it get any better if I wash them multiple times or any other technique. I am also considering the purdy 3/8 roller also.
All comments appreciated.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:16 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

For furniture, spraying works best. You can use an airless, a "cup gun" or a HVLP rig. With 30 table tops, I'd go with the airless.

Post subject: padding vs. spraying
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:46 am 
New User

I realize that would be better but I don't know how to spray & my friend wants the job to be done on site. Going to prep & stain today, I'm also wondering if water base would level better & reduce the hairs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:41 am 
Prized Contributor

Spray it, or you will be chasing the imperfections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:02 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

An HVLP spray rig is perfect for total control over the spray mist. In fact, it produces none. But if you're not going to spray, then use a synthetic flocked applicator. Sureline and Padco and others make them. Get the size that is most comfortable for you. Knock the hairs off the applicator by hand before first use. You could use a QUALITY 6" natural bristle brush. I prefer these when working on stairs because I seem to be able to control the poly better with a brush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:11 pm 
New User

thanks floor guy Gary,
As I stated I have noe experience spraying so that won't be happening. I guess what you are saying in an inderict way that it is a physical imposibility to get all the hairs out, No matter how many times you wash it, shake it,beat it, vacum it, blow it, etc. So I still have these questions, How about I wash it multiple times in the washing machine, without soap & thoroughly dry? Or does it matter if you wash it in solvent? I think you are right Gary, maybe I will try to find a quality 6" brush, but I don't think I have seen one. One last question do you think water base would level out better with a brush?
thanks I really do appreciate it.