Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: applying final coat of oil based poly need advice
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:48 pm 
New User

Hey all nice forum here,
Well I finally broke down and installed oak hard wood floors in my home.I am a custom millworker so im sure you guys all know that work at home gets done last :).Ive applied two coats of oil based poly over natural oak flooring.I'm using a 9" lambs wool applicator.The problem im having is the area im doin is roughly 600 sq. ft dining kitchen and family room,a large area .I keep getting aplicator marks .my family room is 12 x 24 and connects to the dining room that connects to the kitchen.No way i can apply the stuff withouit hitting a tacky spot on finish already applied.I finish cabinetry and millwork all day long , but nothing with this much area.( tempted to break out the spray gun hehe).I need advice on how to apply my final coat. I'm using parks pro satin oil poly sanded with 220 and vacuumed and tacked between coats.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:34 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Well, I can tell you your problem. It's the finish your using. You need a poly with a long open time. I suggest either Dura Seal or Basic. Both of those products are easy to apply and have a longer open time than some others. Sometimes, when tying large areas together, I'll work one area, then skip to another area, then back to the first area to add more finish to my last run so as to keep a wet edge. Applying floor finishes is about the trickiest thing in floor finishing. One other tip. Do not allow any direct sunlight on the floors while coating and apply the finish in the morning when the house is cool.