Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Applying Too Much Bostik MVP????
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:15 pm 
New User

Hello. this is my first post. I am having wood floors installed (Solid 3/8" thick by 3" wide). These planks will be installed on a concrete slab. I applied Bostiks MVP ahead of time. I wish I read about this MVP thoroughly before applying it. I went a little heavier than the thickness of a credit card (bostiks instructions) I may have applied some areas about 3 credit cards thick. Will this harm my installation of the wood down the line? I didnt know to do a complete full prep of the concrete either (Im new at tis trying to save some money-"new homeowner"). I ripped up carpet, swept, and vacuumed. It seemed clean enough, only thing was a couple of slight cracks that I filled with MVP. Will this harm the wood later on?

Also is it normal for the wood planks to slightly drift apart from each other by themselves when glued down with Bostks Best? I bought the blue 3m 2080 tape tonight to tape the planks together, is this correct?
Thanks All!

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:01 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

You should be ok. Clean the glue off the flooring before it dries. Once dry, it is extremely difficult to remove entirely

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:18 am 
New User

Thanks Gary. But the way I prepped the floor (sweeping, vacuuming, and applying more MVP than recommended), and using Bostiks Best Adhesive,... will I get a good life out of the new wood floor with no problems? The room does not have a great moisture content. Should I use more glue on the floor to hold the planks?

Does Bostik Best Adhesive loose its strength after 7 months of not being open or used? I know its shelf life is one year. I had this stored in my garage since April, its now November and the weather is cooler. I am currently using the glue, but wondering if its strong enough to hold down the wood planks.

Thanks Again All!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:56 pm 
Prized Contributor

The only problem I have with BEST is, it does not hold the trowel notch ridges. It slumps, like a self leveling adhesive.

This makes for bonding issues with hollow spots. The flatness of the substrate has to be dead on. I hate that adhesive from an installation stand point.

BST is better for holding its ridges. Less slumping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:22 am 
Prized Contributor

If you can't find the Bostik BST, look at Bruce Equalizer, I think it is the same stuff and I have heard that Bostik actually makes it for Bruce. You would have to call Bostik to find out for sure.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:11 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Urethane adhesives are many and most are great to better than great. Each installer has a preference depending on workability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:41 pm 
New User

Well the floor is officially down. There are some hollow spots, not many though. Will these hollw spots be big problems for the future of this floor? I do know my floor was not level, so thats probally why I have some hollow spots. The floor looks good, hopefully I'll get a good life out of it.

Thanks for all your help