Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Approx Labor Costs in SF Bay Area?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:29 pm 
New User

My husband and I have purchased a new home in Toll Brothers development in the SF Bay area. It is currently being built. We aren't thrilled with the hardwood flooring choices they offer, and are considering putting in floors of our choice after market. This would entail ripping up the carpet and tile that Toll Brothers installs (we can do that part). We have a concrete subfloor & have decided we'd like engineered glue down best. I have many price points for the flooring, but I don't have a real good idea of labor costs. We have 1000sf - mostly rectangular & open. My husband wants to do it himself, but all of the glue down warnings are making me think twice. What would be a reasonable charge for labor? Any other comments on this idea we have are also welcome.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:43 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

As a flooring contractor from the east bay, the labor prices can vary somewhat depending on which area you are in. The penisula and Marin, along with the city, are usually the most expensive. San Jose area is somewhat less, as is the east bay. Typically, you best bet MAY be to purchase a complete package: material and labor from a good retailer. These companies have installers that typically are newer to the field and accept less pay but are capable of installing a simple floor. The retailers can also get materials at the lowest price so their cost is less as well. The issue is whether or not the salesperson will negotiate his commision down. Most retail flooring sales staff are commision and the store gets a % as well. However, if you can find a product you like online, you can avoid paying the CA. sales tax as long as the e-tailer doesn't have a bricks and motar store here. Ken on this site carries many fine floors that can be glued down directly to concrete. The typical labor only charge for direct glue down will be anywhere from about $4.00 per ft. to $6.00 per ft. This is for labor only and doesn't include the adhesive or prep, which could be considerable for a concrete slab job. The slab needs to be cleaned thoroughly and checked for moisture and flatness.You should hire an installer that is licensed by the state and preferably an NWFA member. FYI, in the bay area, Home Depot charges $5.50+ and Lowe's charges $6.15+. Installation only; demo, prep, trims are extra. And they charge for estimates. BTW, I just got done helping a guy install his own floor. I acted as a consultant and I floated his slab and laid a vinyl vapor barrier. He did the demo and slab cleaning, and with my advice, successfully installed his own floor. You and your husband may wish to consider going this route. If so, you can PM me here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:18 pm 
Prized Contributor

I have done the consulting and floor prep for many DIY, clients. I love doing that and get a lot of referrals for just the prep and consulting.

It is a win-win situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:26 am 
Worthy Contributor

If you're handy, ( i.e can read a tape measure) I recommend taking Gary up on his offer. I've read alot of his posts, gotten advice from him, etc. He's tops in the trade and with his advice you could produce a floor to be proud of compounded by the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
PS better get him before tax refunds ... we all get pretty busy once people start having money ....

God Bless,

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail