Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Are all water-based polyurethanes the same quality?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:09 pm 
New User

Greetings,

2.5 years ago we had our floors refinished (sanded, stained, coated with 3 coats of water-based poly).

There are some areas that have worn more than others, and not necessarily the higher traffic areas.

I don't recall this type of wear after our floors were originally installed. I'm wondering if the polyurethane used for the refinish is of lesser quality than that used for the new installation.

Can the quality of polyurethane differ among brands, or is "polyurethane is polyurethane"?

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Are all water-based polyurethanes the same quality?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:21 pm 
Prized Contributor

Just like any purchase you can get the best or just good enough. A lot of companies have good and "the best". It is a price point that people appreciate if they are on a budget. The best finishes are what are called "2K" which include a "hardener". The hardener will cross-link the finish making it tougher for longer wear, and more chemical resistant. These types of finish will eventually get thicker and be unusable after a certain amount of time so there will be more potential "waste" if there it too much mixed up for the job, which is another reason that application is more expensive.
I for one will only provide the best finish that I am confident with to preserve my work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:30 am 
New User

Great info, that helps tremendously. Now I know what to ask when selecting a refinishing company. Thank you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:12 pm 
Worthy Contributor

No, there is a wide range of quality when it comes to water-borne polyurethanes and I would venture to guess that most contractor use to mid to low grade ones to save cost.

My favorite is Bona Traffic HD. But you can read more about this here:The best brands of water based polyurethane https://theflooringgirl.com/blog/best-w ... yurethane/

Debbie
The Flooring Girl

Profile E-mail