Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Are these quotes out of line, or right on.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:01 pm 
New User

I have a quote from a local "family run" wood floor only store for 700 sq ft of 3/4 solid brazilian cherry (3 inch strip) in the cleveland ohio area:

Sheoga $12.75
BR111 $12.55

Keep in mind these prices are install only. I have to pull all the carpet and linoleum. I have to remove the toilet, and I have to remove and then reinstall all baseboard and quarter round.

I have a rough quote from another local shop but they are not a wood floor only (also carpet, tile, etc) for BR111 of around $9. I haven't asked what that included (remove and reinstall baseboard. But that's what I have so far for quotes.

I told the one store my rough quote prior to asking for an estimate and they didn't seem interested in really even doing the work then, ie. skipped out on coming to measure and give me the quote, just called it in 5 minutes after they were supposed to show up. While I don't want a bad install, these cost differences equate to thousands of dollars and I'd have to do all the trim work. I also thought of DIY, but am leary of messing it up to since this would be my first attempt.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:30 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Well, Ken here sells that product for 5.53 a sq ft. You can do the math. Install's run from a low of two, up to what they quoted you. But if the other guy was "thousands" less, I'd be wary of the low guy. If that shop has solid referals, then they are worth it. I can see someone being a buck, buck fifty under, but that isn't "thousands".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:36 pm 
New User

I say thousands from the standpoint of 700 * (12.75 - 9) = $2625. That's alot. I have used the other shop for carpet twice with good results, but this is my first try at hardwood. It's nearly impossible for average guy to know if the installers are any good. That's one reason I am shopping at local shops instead of big box stores right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:08 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

If the lower priced store interests you, talk with them further. Iron out all those details, trim, demo, furniture moving, dust control, subfloor prep, extras, etc. Tell them you expect a quality install and you will accept nothing less. Ask about any quarantees of materials and worksmanship. Ask to see other wood floors they have recently installed using the SAME INSTALLER. After all, the shop is just the business, it's the installer who's skills will make your floor look good. While experience will generally make an installer a better one, sometimes young guys come along with a real knack for it and do good work but don't have alot of experience. These are the kinda installers those small shops thrive on because they pay low and reap the benefits. I know, I was there at one time (just starting out). Perhaps they have a guy like that who will work his heart out for the boss and the customer. In time, he'll get cocky and want more pay. When the owner says we can't afford that (a lie), then he'll head off on his own like we all did. And another guy will come along to take his place. It's the way it works. Sorry, I kinda got off track. Pose all your ?'s to the salesman/owner. Get it all in writing in your contract.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:30 am 
Worthy Contributor

Trouper,

It depends on what each installer is doing. It is hard to say that one is out of line until certain facts are established. The high guy may be doing a glue down job where the other guy may just be floating in the floor. There is going to be a major labor difference in the two. If I have to glue, I am charging an arm and a leg, because it is three fold the labor and a pain as far as I am concerned. If I am doing a fastener install then the price is going to be less. As well, as it has been mentioned, reputation can play a lot into price, a lot of family run installers who have learned the craft through generations are so busy that they can take or leave a new job. It sad but that is the reality of the market right now. They are charging top dollar because they are highly skilled labor and know how to put in floors that will last generations and not just the duration of the current homeowner. These factors play a large role in the cost of the floor they also play as big a role in the longevity of the floor. I know it’s not the answer you are looking for but it depends. Find out how each installer plans to do the install and then you will have a better idea of what you are paying for.

Profile E-mail