Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ASAP ? Kahrs DIY install. but no square nose yet
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:26 pm 
New User

I bought the Kahrs Red Oak Gent, 3 strip, woodloc, floating. I am DIY tomorrow. The room is 12X20, concrete slab, 2 exterior doors, no connecting flooring. From reading this site, I see I will need square nose at the 2 metal door thresholds. Door 1 is along my starting wall, door 2 is at end of job on a wall perpindicular to flooring. I don't have the square nose yet. How do I put the floor down at each door without the square nose? I will order the square nose at this site, but don't want to wait for the square nose delivery to put the floor down tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Also, I plan to remove molding, install floor, replace molding to cover spacing at wall. Or should I leave the molding, install floor, then add the quarter round? How do the pros do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:31 pm 
Prized Contributor

I won't start an installation unless I have all the trim moldings in my hand. I cut my moldings before I start laying floor. How are you going to know what is going to go where to cover any gap, or having to go back and cut out flooring already installed, because you didn't go big enough. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:24 pm 
New User

I just completed a Karh's install this week, very similar to your install. I concur on waiting till you have all pieces to complete.If Transition is not there to measure what you need to leave it could be difficult to get it in place, afterwords. Karh's flooring is very nice but not easy to install at doorways,as it does not tap together unless you shave off the lip on the groove side. You will also have to apply glue prior to tapping together. One other thing is to check how wide your finishing piece is going to be. The relief cuts in the flooring go almost to the wear layer, if it is to narrow the piece will fall apart. I would remove the moldings myself, then re-install. the flooring is thick enough where the paint line should be covered. The Transition will have to be installed with tapcons (a screw for concrete) installed to hold the track, for the wood transition. then pound the transition into the track with a rubber mallet. I like to run mine under the door casing as well as it looks better. Dont forget to undercut the door jambs and put the flooring under the jambs for a professional look. Good luck take care.