Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Attention Installers Living in the Chicagoland Area!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:14 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Sounds very interesting. Nowhere near chicago but i do leave my chop box and table saw on the floor. Have for years. The up and down is what kills my knees. Great idea. I'll be looking for it !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:09 am 
Prized Contributor

Nowhere near Chicago either, otherwise I would take you up on it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:27 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

There are some posts here that say a guy prefers his tools on the ground and that the getting up and down is what hurts knees. Having observed many other installers, I notice many prefer to have their tools on the ground as well. In many ways, this does not make sense to me. Here's why.

* Isn't the big deal to cut outside now? I know Ken, Stephen, Jerry and others promote cutting the flooring outside. Now if the saws are outside, one needs to walk over to them. I submit having the saws on stands are preferable because one does not have to get back down on their knees to operate the tool, not to mention getting back up.

* But even if you're cutting inside ( like on new construction ), having the saw on the floor only makes sense if you lay a row, then cut the last piece in for each row you lay. Personally, I prefer to rack as much as possible, then take an armful of cuts over to the saw to make my cuts. Again, having the saw on a stand makes more sense to me as there is less getting up and down.

* Having the saw(s) on the floor with a prefinished floor is inviting dents and scratches. I know, I use the cardboard cartons myself to set things on. But the least amount of tools and stuff like that I have to place on an installed floor, the better, IMO.

In conclusion, I don't see an advantage to having the saws set on the floor except for not having to set up a stand. I haven't seen many installers scooting across the floors on their knee pads to get to the saws. Nope, most get up, walk over to the saw(s), get back down on their knees, make the cut, get back up and walk over to where the cut board is to be installed. It makes more sense to me to place the saw(s) on a stand and thereby avoiding having to kneel back down again to use them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:27 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I cut outside to . I have a folding fiberglass table around 5' long [very light ].
it holds the table saw and the chop saw . no stands .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:39 pm 
Prized Contributor

Have to agrre with Gary. I use two saw horses with a half sheet (lengthwise) of 3/4 in plywood to set up my chop saw on. Makes it easier to cut base too. Then my table saw is set up next to it. Plus I mount a yard stick on it so I can mark cuts real fast. Used to have a small table for my chop saw but upgraded. :)

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:03 pm 
Prized Contributor

If my table saw is up on a table, the shrapnel, hits me right in the face. I like my table saw on the ground. But I'm short & limber, and never get down on my knees to use it.

My chop saw, it doesn't matter. I use 2x4's to help hold long boards up. It does throw less dust around, if it is on the floor.

If I cut inside, I have a room dedicated to cutting, until it is time for that room. My saws never get set on installed prefinished wood and I don't cut in rooms already installed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:11 pm 
Prized Contributor

Quote:
If my table saw is up on a table, the shrapnel, hits me right in the face. I like my table saw on the ground. But I'm short & limber, and never get down on my knees to use it.

If you are over top your table saw it does not matter, you will get chips flying at ya. Having a table saw set on ground level is just not safe. Use saftey glasses.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:27 pm 
Prized Contributor

floormeintucson wrote:

If you are over top your table saw it does not matter, you will get chips flying at ya. Having a table saw set on ground level is just not safe. Use saftey glasses.

I would need a safety mask! Safe, depends how much you respect that turning blade, no matter where the saw sits. I didn't say no shrapnel...The higher you get above the table, the less shrapnel, no matter what you say.

I'm not standing over the saw when in use or when not in use! My Johnson, would not like me very well. It is well out of the traffic area and in a corner.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:19 pm 
Prized Contributor

I love the idea about not getting up and down all day for cuts. But the dust issues ... cutting inside the home needs to be addressed. Airborn particles in the customer's home will not fly ( pardon the pun :lol:

I think Gary may have hit on something with the 18volt cordless. You dont get the airborn dust with a cordless, ( I assume it's because of the slower rotation of the blade ?). Plus , no cord to deal with , awesome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:58 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
It is well out of the traffic area and in a corner.

What is? Your saw or your Johnson ? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:28 am 
Prized Contributor

That sounds like great fun, to lean over your table saw, and cut in a corner ! :lol: How many times does the end of the board knock into the wall, and your moving the saw while it's running :roll: Sound like a circus ! I hope you never lose your balance !

Not to keep ribbing you...But you must have a magical mitre saw. Mine would blow as much dust on the ground ,as on my table :lol:

I guess to each his own, but I would have to agree with Gary. Cutting on the ground makes no sense.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:20 am 
Prized Contributor

Floorologist wrote:
That sounds like great fun, to lean over your table saw, and cut in a corner ! :lol: How many times does the end of the board knock into the wall, and your moving the saw while it's running :roll: Sound like a circus ! I hope you never lose your balance !

Not to keep ribbing you...But you must have a magical mitre saw. Mine would blow as much dust on the ground ,as on my table :lol:

I guess to each his own, but I would have to agree with Gary. Cutting on the ground makes no sense.

You make it sound as if I'm 6'6" tall.

You guys didn't know I'm a midget? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:00 pm 
Prized Contributor

All kidding aside, in regards to this new "life saver saw"
I still cant see how cutting in the house, on the floor,is safe or an advantage. I can write a few pages on the awkwardness , safety, and clenliness issues.
Not to mention the main point of this "invention" ( not getting up and down ) . Your not going to have the saw next to you while your installing the wood! You still have to get up and down. Please dont put wheels on it , and a tug rope :lol:

Darn good problem to solve ( not getting up and down all the time ). I would pay big bucks for that. Hey , maybe I should hire a helper !

Howard

Profile E-mail