Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Average Cost to finish floors?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:28 pm 
Newbie Contributor

We have a chance to buy 750 sq. ft. of unfinished Brazilian Cherry floors for $3.75 a sq. ft. (solid 3/4" 3.25", Great Lakes brand). I'm not sure if that's a good price or not, but I"m checking on that. My question is, the guy selling it said we could have it finished for $1 to $1.50 a sq. ft. No staining, just clear coating. Seems low to me - like maybe he's just trying to sell me the floor.

Thoughts?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:48 pm 
Worthy Contributor

all depends on your location, and what you are expecting them to look like when they are done.

Here in IL there are companies that start as low as .99 a foot. Thats for 2 coats of cheap poly, most of them are illegal, its not good work, and they have no insurance.

Now reputable comapines range from 2.50 - 5.00 dependant on reputaion/materials/equipment used.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:02 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Traffic itself costs about $100/gal. for about 400sf. And, you typically need at least two coats of that. So, for $.99 you aren't getting Traffic for sure.

In IL recently I've been quoted $1.50/sf for sanding, not including sealant or finish. Tag on at least $1.00 for a nice finish and stain/sealer and it takes you to a minimum of $2.50. Mostly I've been quoted about $3.50 to $4.25 for sanding and urethaning with Traffic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:42 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks. Sounds like this isn't such a great deal. I think I'll stick with prefinished!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:47 pm 
Worthy Contributor

That all being said, site finished floors have a different custom finished beauty to them that pre-finished can't match.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:52 pm 
Worthy Contributor

yes, prefinished isnt all it is cracked up to be, although normally it is a bit cheaper (esp for the exotics) Sometimes I can get prefinished wood (material)cheaper that unfinished wood.....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:04 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Exquisite Flooring wrote:
yes, prefinished isnt all it is cracked up to be, although normally it is a bit cheaper (esp for the exotics) Sometimes I can get prefinished wood (material)cheaper that unfinished wood.....

My Muskoka prefinished Maple cost about $5.50/sf. Installation would have been about $2.50. So, that put it at $8.00. I can get site finished NOFMA red oak installed with Traffic for about $9.00 or so. I'll pay the extra buck for the site finished, especially for the formal areas.

I have seen some exotics at pretty good prices, but I'm leery of non-name brands. And the name brand exotics can be expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:43 pm 
Prized Contributor

3.75 for a 31/4" unfinishd b.cherry is a good price. Great lakes is Mullican's little step child they came up with to go dual distribution in areas that they had promised exclusives to. Labor prices are regional and go hand in hand with the cost of living in the area. Here sanding is 2.00 on thelow end of things and 4.00 probally tops it out.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail