Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bad installation/finish job
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:57 pm 
New User

Hello from Michigan, I had 920 sf of red oak installed and matched to existing flooring. It is supposed to have 3 coats of Glitsa infinity II. (Doesn't look like it to me though) These are the issues involved:
+ There are tons of swirls throughout the finished job, as well as what I believe to be dish out/chatter/waves.
+ There are at least 20 areas that are "notched" in between boards where it was damaged during installation that weren't filled.
+ It looks like the grain was raised in a lot of areas and they didn't buff between poly coats.
+ The thresholds that have carpet on the other side are not done correctly in my opinion, and one has a chunk that broke out and was just nailed back in and looks terrible, all of them were left rough/damaged on the carpet side.
+ The stairs look and feel like they weren't even sanded as the finish is very rough and stain is spotty/nonexistent in some places, and even a shoe print on one tread.
Also, they installed my primed shoe molding before the 3rd coat of poly and now I have poly all over the primer. (will I have to sand/prime the shoe now in order for the paint to stick? Will there be a "ridge" along the edge of the shoe/floor if the floor shrinks a little during winter?)
The salesman/co-owner? of the company came out and said that I had 2 options. 1)it all needs stripped down and done over or 2) they would fill the notches, replace the 1 broken threshold, and smooth the stairs, and put one more coat of Glitsa II down (and he offered $500 off final price as a starting point,I think it should be more if I accept it with the issues outlined above) I have paid 1/2 down and this job was over $13,000. My concern is, do I trust them to completely start over and make it better or will it end up worse? Would I be better off option #2 with a hefty discount, and how much would be reasonable? Should I insist that he is there to supervise along the way. I can't believe they continued with the job seeing the swirl issue after the stain, and don't trust the workers judgement or skill level at this point. What should my realistic expectations be for a new install like this? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!! First time trying to add a photo album!! https://photos.app.goo.gl/iUgOofSn6Gqe8CK42

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Bad installation/finish job
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:19 pm 
New User

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iUgOofSn6Gqe8CK42

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bad installation/finish job
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:33 am 
Valued Contributor

Your expectation should be a professional installation. These guys seemed to be rushing and not paying attention to details. There shouldn't be any broken or damaged boards. I would insist that he send his best crew. If these guys were his best then he needs to watch them.....assuming he knows how things should be done correctly. None of those mistakes should have happened.

Profile E-mail