Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bad quality work by contractor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:23 am 
Newbie Contributor

So I've been having issues with my contractor on multiple things, one of which is the flooring. He's asking for payment of $1200 on ~350 sq. ft. in two rooms. I'm not sure what to pay him, or if possibly I am being too picky. Pictures to follow up.

For starters, I asked him to pull and reuse the old baseboard. Now, this baseboard was in pretty rough shape to begin with (paint overspray by his guys, wear and tear), but it was supposed to temporarily save me the effort of having to cut, cope, and match the stain.

Instead, his guys mixed them all up and put them back in half-assed order. What you are seeing below is a butt joint in the corner, a butt+scarf in the middle, and a scarf+coped joint in the middle.

I don't know what kind of nails he was using in the first pic.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Bad quality work by contractor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:25 am 
Newbie Contributor

Part 2:

I'm pretty sure his guys mixed in a single box of the wrong color in the middle of the floor. At the very least, the finish is off and I think he should have noticed before continuing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:42 am 
Newbie Contributor

Part 3:

Sloppy cuts on the floor leading to the door:

Sloppy undercuts on existing door trim (picture is rotated sideways):

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:52 am 
Newbie Contributor

Part 4:

No pictures, but his guys butted the floor (floating, solid-strand, click bamboo) directly up against the sill plate, leaving no expansion gap. Seems OK for now, though the closet is a little bit wavy already.

I don't really even feel like bothering with having his guys come out to fix it. You have to be pretty dumb (or high) to mismatch the ends of a scarf joint and a cope joint and still nail it in, and I don't trust them enough to give a second chance.

The question is, how much should I pay him? At $1200 for 333 sq. ft., he's asking for $3.60/sq. ft., but still didn't finish the baseboards or the three transition pieces. He was going to ask for $1600 ($4.80) total to complete the baseboards and transitions, but I told him I'd do it myself to get rid of him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:58 am 
Valued Contributor

With that quality there is no way I would let him or his crew back into my house. I would get estimates to correct the problems and tell him that you would like to deduct that amount from the original contract price.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:03 pm 
Prized Contributor

I think you made a mistake hiring this company.Did you ever see an example of their work. They wasted your floor by not knowing how to install it. The base board is now worthless, too.
Ask them to come and remove the floor and start over.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:57 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Yeah, it was a huge mistake. He was referred by a friend who had used him to GC the remodel on his house from the studs, and I don't know what happened. This job was so simple that I didn't even think it was possible to do work this bad.

I don't want him in my house anymore, and just want to be rid of him. I'm thinking I should just give him like $400 for his time, then tell him to go away.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:13 am 
Valued Contributor

Before giving him any $ I would figure out what it's going to cost to correct and complete the job. The fix may cost more than the original job done correctly. His work may have caused you additional $ so I would take all that into consideration before offering to give him any thing. I would write everything down and get written estimates so that you will have some type of documentation in case you get into an arbitration or legal situation. Take lots of pictures of the job in its current state.

Profile E-mail