Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is my bamboo floor supposed to look like *this*?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:24 pm 
Hi all - thanks in advance for any advice you're able to provide!

We just finished installing a Schon Quick-Click bamboo floor (natural material, engineered construction, floating over at-grade concrete) from Lumber Liquidators. The process went fine, but we feel the variation in the material is way beyond normal...

Please take a look at the following snaps - do you think there should be this much variation? The lightness and quality variations were from box-to-box, as well as from board-to-board within the same box...

We're not sure what to do next... to start, we're going to try laying some of the scrap over the worst boards - if these look better, then maybe we'll replace the offending boards with the remaining unused pieces.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Dave in Rochester, NY

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:22 pm 
We ended up pulling this floor up today, a few hours after my post... We're replacing it with a Bruce click-together hardwood. Would have been nice to have the bamboo, but the variation was just too much.

Thanks,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:40 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Dave,

That was pretty normal. Whenever you have a really light colored floor, the natural vaiances are going to stand out much more when you throw some darker pieces in there.

Your floor looked pretty nice overall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:14 pm 
Wow, the message boards are back up and running, but still getting hacked pretty good.

I agree, that is a normal characteristic, of the floor you chose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:16 pm 
Prized Contributor

Looks normal to me, for that floor.

Post subject: normal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:24 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Thats prefectly normal. Thats not a lot of variation. Your only going to find perfect uniformity with a laminate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Variation
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:53 pm 
New User

It sounds like I am a little late on this topic. There will always be a natural variation in tone and color in pretty much any natural material. It also can depend on the manufacture. I think that your floor would have looked better if the stagger was a thought out a little more. Opening more than one box while installing helps, so there would be a lay out strategy. Then you wouldnt have had a large blot of dark and then light.

But if you were unhappy, definitly better to go with wood. Hopefully something that was FSC certified (less impact on the environment).

I think there are a lot of people that have a miss conception of variation, but I definitly feel it is the job of the sales person to educate the customer about this.

Mikey