Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bamboo Floor Turning Black after 9 months
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:45 pm 
New User

I am having a problem related to an installation of bamboo flooring. Long story short. Bamboo flooring purchased from Lumber Liquidators 8 mos ago. Floor is now turning black. They say its water damage. No evidence of any water. I paid $475 to SLEUTH Leak Detection company who advises No leak. They advise it is "water vapor". Moisture not a problem when we had carpet, but floor is trapping moisture. LL, the installer, nor Bellawood the manufacturer will take any responsibility-say it is a "site problem". Any recommendations on what I can do?

The two rooms are separate, but butt up next to each other (back to back closet walls) The problem is occurring in both rooms - same product Bellawood Strand Bamboo installed at exact same time.

Bellawood Premium Underlayment & Bostik Best Adhesive for entire installation. Click Floor Installation.

I'm sick over 2 rooms of beautiful bamboo that are turning black. I look forward to any recommendations offered. I am discouraged now though, reading your message board. Looks like I am yet another LL unsatisfied customer. Thank you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bamboo Floor Turning Black after 9 months
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:03 am 
Prized Contributor

It is a site problem. Was any moisture testing done prior to install per the recommended installation instructions? There are cases where the floor was good to go at time of installation and then the seasons change and the moisture gets to them. An installer cannot control the seasons or site once they leave its up to the homeowner to keep the site constant within applicable industry standards.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

I'm glad you chimed in Kevin. I'm hoping to get other views as the poster reached me by email first, but didn't mention a click bamboo. I thought it was a glue down over the Bellawood underlayment...glued down bamboo as well. We all know LL has their problems.

Frankly I'm getting tired of the emails in being the LL problem answer man, but in this case she was far more descriptive than other questions I get, so I tried to help. I do know she's in Florida. Not sure if it's an isolated issue either. IE spots or the entire floor?

Maybe it's a crap lot with green bamboo? Who knows? Pictures could help.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:26 pm 
New User

Kevin and Ken,

Thanks for your input. I would send a picture, but I'm having trouble locating where to upload it. Here is additional information I can offer about my problem and developments since I first posted.

RE: Moisture testing - I have been told it was done prior to installation and they quoted me the levels (which were in acceptable range) but I have not seen "proof" of that myself. I do believe moisture was not a problem at the time of installation. The moisture "reader" machine is reading 40-42 in some places where I'm told it was around 9-10 at time of installation.

Yes, we are located in South Florida so obviously moisture is present almost 12 months of the year (The installers assured me they install here all the time).

I keep my AC running almost all year (to my husbands disapproval, LOL).. so the temperature is typically 73-74 and around 35-45% humidty. I don't ever have my AC up higher than 78. Other than that, as a homeowner, I don't see how I could know of or control any other "site conditions"????

Since my complaint LL did arrange for the installer to come and remove some of the boards with one of "their" designated inspectors present. WOW.. am I glad we pulled up the wood. The concrete floor, underlayment and wood underneath is covered in mold/mildew and is damp. The odor is strong. The inspector confirmed for me verbally that he also did NOT find a leak, but believes moisture is the problem. (This corroborates what the Leak Detection company told me-they said it is "water vapors" that naturally occur in concrete slab in FL). The installer (who was not the original installer) recommended that the flooring be pulled up from both rooms and that new underlayment AND an additional layer of plastic be added and the floor be reinstalled. This was two weeks ago-, even though I have made several contacts, LL has not responded to me about the inspection results.

The question I now have is; IF LL agrees to pull up and reinstall the existing flooring, is it acceptable for them to utilize the same wood? The installer indicated they could "clean" the bottom of the wood and reuse most of it? I'm suspect of that recommendation.

I typically am a very informed consumer, but I have really gotten burned on this one from LL and will advise my friends/family to NOT purchase from LL.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide me your industry insight and recommendations. Thank you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:45 am 
Site Admin

Sad to say that Lumber Liquidators will have their hands full after the 60 Minutes episode. I hope something happens for you...somehow. But this one ....I don't know the answers...sorry

Image[/URL]

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:48 am 
Prized Contributor

Bostic best is good for up to 12lbs which is pretty high water vapor emissions. This is why we need to accurately document moisture testing before installations begin. This is what separates a pro from an average installer. If your slab is putting off more than 12lbs you will need an additional sealer/ glue combo that is sufficient enough to handle what it being subjected to. Trying to get action out of a liquidator isnt going to be easy, they make there money off volume sales to the uneducated/unassuming homeowner who is trying to save a buck, and we all want to save a buck, so it makes them a easy target.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:28 pm 
Valued Contributor

I'm lost..a click lock is a floating install..am i missing something?

they glued it? or glued the slab then used a foam underlay?

after the recent news about LL I suspect they wont be around as they will lose their
edge with how they were able to provide the pricing they did by using Chinese mills and manufacturing.

I suspect tons lawsuits..class action suits ,settlements then they need to get up to snuff with proper finishing and manufacturing which is sure hurt.

it will be a fine day for the industry when they are gone.

i don't believe they will be able to reuse the material after being subject to that much moisture..they will certainly need to replace the damaged and discolored flooring. they would at least need to pull it up ,correct slab, and let the material sit for quite a bit to equalize and go back to proper dimension for install..personally i would make them replace it all..easier said than done im sure

http://www.flortechardwood.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:22 am 
New User

James,

My understanding is: it is a click/floating floor - Bostic Underlayment (no glue)

Additionally, My floor is Bamboo Strand (not considered an "engineered" wood and therefore does not have the formaldehyde problems that are in the news right now??) I am learning way too much about the hardwood flooring industry (the hard way), thanks for helping to educate me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:40 am 
Prized Contributor

jmtbbill wrote:
James,

My understanding is: it is a click/floating floor - Bostic Underlayment (no glue)

Additionally, My floor is Bamboo Strand (not considered an "engineered" wood and therefore does not have the formaldehyde problems that are in the news right now??) I am learning way too much about the hardwood flooring industry (the hard way), thanks for helping to educate me.

Never heard of Bostik underlayment as in roll form. But yes, anthing thats not wholly milled out of a solid piece of wood or bamboo is considered engineered. Strand is shredded and then glued back up, you can call it solid strand if it makes you feel better. And yes there's formaldehyde in almost every flooring. You can have it checked out in a lab.

That said many underlayments suggest a moisture test prior to installation as had been mentioned. Installer should document or else its all just hear say,

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:16 am 
Worthy Contributor

While you may not want to hear this, and while I do prefer hardwood, if you are having such serious issues as this with moisture and mold (and this is no surprise given your geography or subfloor), I would do a waterproof/water resistant surface such as tile or luxury vinyl (could even try US Floors coretec plus).

I wouldn't risk my health/my family's health on this. That doesn't even factor in LL's issues and allegations re: formaldehyde.

And, no I would never re-use wood that had mold or moisture issues.

See if you can get a refund back from LL and put towards the use of better and more resilient floors that will last.

Debbie Gartner, The Flooring Girl
http://TheFlooringGirl.com
Westchester County, NY

Profile E-mail