Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bamboo gone bad - possibly - please help!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:47 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Ok, I had bamboo hardwood flooring installed in my house over concrete about 10 days ago. I have popping everywhere. At first I thought it was because of some voids because the installers didn't ensure the floor was flat before they laid it. However, it almost appears that the wood is not adhering as it should to the concrete.

The reason I say this is because thebamboo flooring is coming up where it transitions to the ceramic tile. You can see it plain as day. It goes down and sticks for a second or two when you step on it and then comes right back up. The installers used Roberts 1407 glue. This is what the bamboo manufacturer called for. However, it is almost as if the glue is not cured yet. Is this possible after 10 days? If so, how do I get it to cure and what do I do about all of the soft spots - there are many?

Additionally, the glue along the edges of the bamboo is not hard, but rather like putty. The glue I am referring to is the excess glue from when they installed the planks.I can see it because the reducer has not yet been installed. Iwould think after 10 days and being exposed to air all this time it should be rock hard right?

Please help.....

Thanks, Ray

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:34 pm 
Prized Contributor

Ypu need to bring all this to the installers attention. It sounds like a really high spot they didn't grind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:37 pm 
Newbie Contributor

What are my options for repair? Can the existing wood be pulled up and reused after the floor is level? If it can be reused, will I have to refinish it or should they be able to pull it up without scratching it? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:39 pm 
Prized Contributor

Discuss your options with the installer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:17 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but it is my installer who apparently didn't do the job right in the first place which is why I am where I am. I don't really trust his word 100 percent. I would like to know what options would be available to me given the cicumstances. In particular, can the wood be pulled up and reused so I don't have to spend several thousand more on new material. Thanks.
Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:38 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

You're missing the point. You already paid for the wood and the installation. If the installation is faulty and causing problems, it becomes the installer's responsibility to rectify the problem. If that means purchasing more flooring, then he/she will be the one to pay for it, not you. But you must allow the installer to fix the problem. Failure to do that will put any claim you may have in serious jeapordy. Only after allowing the installer ample time to repair the problem, should you seek others (or yourself) to fix it. Once you start working on it, it becomes YOUR problem and YOU own it, not your installer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:22 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Ok, I had the installer come back out and look at the problem and he says I have bad roerts 1407glue that did not stick. In fact, the stuff around the edges where the thresholds go is still tacky and should be hard and dry. So now where do I go? The installer is pawning me off on Roberts and although I have not dealt with Roberts before, I think unlikely they are willing to part with a few thousand dollars ont he word of an installer - or are they? I am frustrated and I am trying to find out the best avenues to get this fixed. I am calling Roberts tomorrow if I can find their number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:05 pm 

Here's a description of the Roberts 1407 adhesive:
http://www.qep.com/msds_pds/Adhesive%20 ... %20PDS.pdf

First, who supplied the adhesive? If the installer bought the adhesive, then he is in the loop, even though it may not be his fault. If you supplied the adhesive, then the installer cannot be blamed for using your faulty product unless he knew it was bad, which would be difficult to prove.

The product description makes a BIG deal about the temperature; that it must be 65 degrees or higher before using and until cured. The things that may have caused problems with the adhesive drying and curing properly are high moisture content in the slab (was the MC checked?), low temperatures before install, spread way too thick, curing compounds on the slab or faulty product. You may need to hire an independant inspector to determine what the problem is. Very rare to have a problem with the adhesive. Usually, it is installer error. Call Robert's and discuss with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:15 pm 
Newbie Contributor

If your installer supplied the adhesive, he should not be an installer.
1407 is the garbage they sell at Home Depot for $70 or so bucks. Complete trash!! This glue has the properties and bonding capabilities of Elmer's Glue.

In short, there is never really a bad batch of 1407. 1407 isjust bad accross the board.

So, he who chose the glue is responsible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:05 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I supplied the glue but that is only becuase that is what was recommended for on the boxes of hardwood (bamboo). The instructions that come in each box call for the use of Roberts 1407.

Yes, the glue did come from Home Depot and was bought new. I couldn't tell you if the glue was put on too thick or improperly because I am not an installer. I just know the outcome. The moisture content of both the wood and the concrete slab were checked prior to install and found to be fine.

The temperature was definitely fine. It has been 70's to 80's the last two weeks or so cotinuously.

I am going to call Roberts tomorrow, but I have a feeling they are going to blame the installer, who is of course blaming Roberts. Any ideas where I should go next. Shouldi go ahead and have an independent inspector come out? Any ideas what they typically cost to do an inspection? Thanks again for all of the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:13 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Well, if temperature is no longer a factor, then that rules out error on the installers end.

You just got stuck with a BAD product. This is one of those things that needs to be researched prior to purchase and installation.

At this point, it seems you only have a claim with Robert's for an inferior product.

If you get an inspector to confirm this and you and the installer BOTH stand your ground regarding the temperature when dealing with Robert's, you may have a chance in getting them to stand behind the incapabilities of their product.

Best of Luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:38 am 

I agree. Sounds as if that Roberts adhesive is to blame. I have never used it and never seen it recommended. Nine out of ten flooring manufacturer's who do not have their own adhesives recommend either Bostick's Best or Franklin 811 Advantage. A few may suggest Taylor , Chemrex or Stauf but most prefer a urethane adhesive that contains no water because then they do not need to worry about their flooring warping or cupping from water in the adhesive. Funny, Roberts is a big time manufacturer of flooring supplies and has been for a long time. I find it odd that they should make a crappy adhesive and set themselves up for problems :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:06 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Is there a directory or website of floor inspectors? I looked in the yellow pages and they have no listings. I am in the VA area. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:03 am 
Prized Contributor

From an inspectors standpoint. adhesives rarely fail. It is usually a failure to get enough adhesive on the floor, or they are bridging a low spot. Acylics grab and release, just as described above, which tells me there is a low spot, or it's coming off a high spot, or the adhesive would be holding. Moisture cure urethane wouldn't do this. It wouldn't grab after 1 day, much less 10 days, to stick for a second. Is there a bulge in the floor there or is it flat right now?

Your installer is going to be crying the blues when the inspector commisioned by Roberts, comes to his conclusion.

If the glue fails to stick, it would fail to stick all over the installation. It wouldn't be isolated!!! Duh!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:01 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I appreciate it! The floor is not bulging anywhere and the only place it is popping is over voids (you can hear the hollow sound and push the flooring back and watch it pop up). It is nice and flat until you walk on it and then it pops/flexes in multiple locations. I am going to see what the inspector says but I think that he will confirm that you are right and that it is not the glue since about 75 percent of the floor seems to be stuck just fine. Now for the fight with the installer. Thanks again.