Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Recoat bamboo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:13 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I dont know if anyone here has had the mis fortune to screen and coat pre finished bamboo but my experience was a total cock up!. Apparently the finish used on bamboo has "aluminum silicate" in it to help it bond to the grassy strand like surface of the unfinished product, even with a good screening most finishes wont bond to this surface. I found out there a couple of ways to get around it after I coated the floor the first time as I do with anormal screen and re-coat I left the house and the floors looked quite sexy with their freshly applied finish. I got a call later that day to from the builder and he said they looked odd and kinda "peely". the finish peeled like a bad sunburn, took hours to buff and peel it off by hand. I used parks waterbased as thats what the builder asked for. After some research I was told to buff the floors with 100 grit screens then drop some Parks universal sealer and then recoat after a few hours. I was told by the manufacturer that this was the only sealer they found that created a bond, bona prep wouldn't work nor would Basics tycote. Never again, 7 hours hand peeling little finish flakes off the floor. Felt like an idiot.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:03 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I have done many factory finished floor recoats and a few bamboo ones. I use BONA waterbased finishes due to the success I have had with them. Traffic and Pacific Strong. When recoating a prefinished floor, I vacuum first, then clean with BONA hardwood floor cleaner. Then I use the 3M SPP maroon pads and BONA's Prep spray to prep the floors for a recoat, After that, a final vacuum and cleaning with BONA Hardwood Floor Cleaner and I'm ready to coat. I have not experienced a failure using this system. I'd question using an inexpensive and perhaps poorer quality waterbased finish like Parks. However, using Park's Universal Sealer (de-waxed shellac) is a great way to ensure a bond. Shellac is a little tricky to work with and sands poorly (gums). It isn't necessary in all situations. And be careful over very light floors as it may amber them a little.