Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1" Bamboo Stair Treads
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:03 pm 
New User

FIRST SOME BACKGROUND

I have a question related to your article on installing Hardwood on previously carpeted stairs:
http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... stairs.htm

I am currently installing bamboo flooring in the entry room (MAIN FLOOR) of my split-entry. I am also planning on putting bamboo on my stairs as well, both the stairs that go downstairs (BASEMENT), as well as the stairs that go upstairs (2nd FLOOR). The entry room, and thus the bamboo flooring, obviously borders both staircases. For the flooring I am using 9/16" engineered click-lock bamboo. For the stairs I bought 1" thick solid bamboo stair treads, and paint-grade risers. My stairs are almost exactly like the stairs pictured in your article, 2x12's where the overhang needs to be sawed off.

I also read the following on a forum, related to a question on installing 1" thick hardwood stair treads over previously carpeted stairs:

> When you get all done, you will trip when going up or down those
> steps -- twice each time. Once when your legs feel the bottom step
> being too tall, and again when they feel the top step being too short.

NOW MY QUESTION(s)

So when I finally install my 1" thick stair treads, the riser heights for the bottom and top steps will be thrown off. The bottom-step riser will be 1" higher than before, and the top-step riser height will be 1" shorter. Do you see this being a problem or invitation to disaster?

Also, one minor detail: Does it matter whether the riser goes behind or on top of the stair tread?

Thanks,
JP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:44 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Jerry posted this info aways back and I book marked it for future reference. The answers to your questions are in here. It sounds as if you are refering to the change in the "rise" of the stairs. Perhaps this will help.

http://www.stairways.org/pdf/2003%20Sta ... SCREEN.pdf