Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Baseboards First? Or Hardwood Floors?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:04 pm 
New User

Gentlemen:

I have this discussion every time I get caught in the crosshairs between a builder and a flooring installer. Since I am an interior trim carpenter and stair man, the question is always asked:

"What goes down first - the interior trim (doors, baseboard)
or the flooring."

Naturally, the flooring contractor insists that the flooring be installed first. Also naturally, the trim guy insists that the trim be put down first. Both sides hold their opinion to be absolute.

I have my opinion on this subject, but I'm going to withhold it for a while so I don't color any responses (one hint though - I'm more to the middle than to one side or the other). Whenever I ask a floor guy or a trim guy for a reason why they hold the opinion they do, I never get any response other than "Because that's the way it's always been done." That hardly bowls me over with hard science.

It's not that I want to tax anyone's brain with hard science after a long day's work, but can anyone advance some good, solid reasons why one method would be better than the other, or why a combination of the methods would be best.

What I am looking for here is an answer to which sequence of installation of these two phases of construction would be best for the product (i.e., the new home being built), not which sequence would be easier for each subcontractor involved.

O.k. then. Have I come to the lions den, or are there some reasonable men out there with well-thought-out answers to this age-old question?

Cheers

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:57 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

My response is it depends; on what the flooring is to be ( factory prefinished or sand and finish in place ) and what the trim is ( 10" colonial base or 2&1/2" builders special ). Unfinished flooring can be installed prior to trim but I would like to have the doors (jambs and casings ) in because then I know what I'm working with. The doors can be removed from the hinges to allow for installation and sanding of the floors. As far as base is concerned, when a builder uses a tall baseboard, I KNOW that it will not conform to the irregularities of the subfloor and therefore I recommend using a baseshoe UNLESS his trim carpenter (that would be you), wants to scribe the base to the floor. So, I say install the tall base first and lay the floor after then come back later (after sanding and finishing) and install the shoe. If you're using a low profile base that has some flex and will conform to the floor, then you can eliminate the baseshoe and install the baseboards after the floor is done. If the floor is factory finished, then as much work that can be done before should be as the floor should be one of the last things installed. Everyone here has stories about floors that got ruined by careless tradesmen even when they were covered. The way I work is:
1) All trim done except baseshoe
2) floors laid
3) other final interior work done
4) sand and finish floors except wait for the final coat of floor finish
5) Rest of work done including touch up painting, baseshoe, carpet
6) Final coat applied before turning home over to homeowner

Works for me and my builders! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:14 am 
Worthy Contributor

I prefer the trim and casings be installed, and a sample of the base to be on site so I can see what I'm working with. I don't like surprises. One thing I always run into on new construction, (and today was no different). The general walks in and asks, what I am going to use to trim out the toekicks, on the cabinets. Then, they look stunned when I say, I'm the FLOOR guy, not the TRIM guy. Jeez.
When I working direct with the customers, though, this is always discussed, and dealt with beforhand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:49 am 
Prized Contributor

I,m in agreement so far. You get a better job if the house is trimmed first. The exception would be the baseboards which is an either or deal.

I just want to expand a little on the door units being in place first. Most, if not all prehung units are "pregapped" (for lack of the correct term) at the bottom to allow for carpet & pad. They need to be set first and then the jambs/casing undercut to accept any hard surface floor to run under.

If the trim man is told to set the units on scraps of the flloring, well that only makes his job harder because he is limited on adjusting the latch side jamb to get his margins right. And you are still going to have a huge gap to boot under the door itself.

When I am able to talk with the trim man first I tell him to just do his job the way he needs to do it and not worry too much about me. I'm a big boy and I can pretty much deal with whatever he leaves me. I also "like" having something to work to, which has already been stated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:22 am 
Prized Contributor

Like Gary and the others have explained very well, it is all in the planning, and how reckless the other trades are with the floor already in place.

If this is fast paced new construction, the floor should be last!!!!!! Especially a prefinished.

Here new construction is never climate controlled.