Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Before I start - a couple of questions
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:21 pm 
New User

I just bought a Townhouse where I pulled the carpet in the Dining Room / Living Room. The subfloors are okay. I'm going to remove 2 2'X2' sections of the subfloor because they are damaged from what looks like moisture from a spill. The T&G subfloor buckled up and the tounge broke through the upper groove of the ajoining subfloor panel.

I just bought ~430 sq/ft of Bruce Plano Plank 3/4" Oak floors from Home Depot.

So... now my questions:

1. I purchased a roll of 15# roofing felt. Should I cover the entire floor (above a full finished climate controlled basement) or just use for leveling?

2. Should the felt be spray glued to the subfloor to prevent from moving (i.e. 3M spray glue) for ease of install of the wood flooring?

3. The subfloor under the right side of the door frame for the basement door is about 3/4" higher then the left side of the door frame. The existing top stair nose is straight but you can see on the right side where the top stair nose is 3/4" lower then the subfloor (the left side is flush). I can think of 2 ways to deal with this. 1) Cut the door frame 3/4" on the bottom so the floor plank will fit under. 2) Cut the door frame 1/2" and sand the bottome of the hardwood floor plank 1/4" to "split the difference". This would probably look the best but I'm not sure is sanding down a 3/4" thick plank to 1/2" is acceptable. Am I going about this the wrong way?

4. The floor I bought came from Home Depot. They didn't have any matching moldings for this color (Marsh). I need a stair nose, T-molding and reducer strip. Is there anywhere I can order these from? Any alternatives to using the exact match moldings from Bruce?

5. Anybody heard of the floor I bought? Any good?

Thank you..
denisl

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Before I start - a couple of questions
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:04 pm 
Worthy Contributor

denisl wrote:
I just bought a Townhouse where I pulled the carpet in the Dining Room / Living Room. The subfloors are okay. I'm going to remove 2 2'X2' sections of the subfloor because they are damaged from what looks like moisture from a spill. The T&G subfloor buckled up and the tounge broke through the upper groove of the ajoining subfloor panel.

I just bought ~430 sq/ft of Bruce Plano Plank 3/4" Oak floors from Home Depot.

So... now my questions:

1. I purchased a roll of 15# roofing felt. Should I cover the entire floor (above a full finished climate controlled basement) or just use for leveling?

2. Should the felt be spray glued to the subfloor to prevent from moving (i.e. 3M spray glue) for ease of install of the wood flooring?

3. The subfloor under the right side of the door frame for the basement door is about 3/4" higher then the left side of the door frame. The existing top stair nose is straight but you can see on the right side where the top stair nose is 3/4" lower then the subfloor (the left side is flush). I can think of 2 ways to deal with this. 1) Cut the door frame 3/4" on the bottom so the floor plank will fit under. 2) Cut the door frame 1/2" and sand the bottome of the hardwood floor plank 1/4" to "split the difference". This would probably look the best but I'm not sure is sanding down a 3/4" thick plank to 1/2" is acceptable. Am I going about this the wrong way?

4. The floor I bought came from Home Depot. They didn't have any matching moldings for this color (Marsh). I need a stair nose, T-molding and reducer strip. Is there anywhere I can order these from? Any alternatives to using the exact match moldings from Bruce?

5. Anybody heard of the floor I bought? Any good?

Thank you..
denisl

1 I would cover the whole floor with the felt. I like the feel but its a liitle harde to work with.
2 You do not need to glue it, a few staples can help but is not necessary.
3 Not quite understanding. Is your floor level? If so, cut the door frame.
4 Oak can be matched with stain and finish. Bruce can maybe provide the information to match, you will need to be carful about finish sheen. I'm sure you can find the moldings on the internet.
5 You probably got what you paid for.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:08 pm 
New User

The floor is NOT level. It seems to have a slight grade that peaks right under the right door frame. It is solid thought. The floor isn't buckled or anything like that. It feels strong. Almost like the house settled around this section (like a tent, a 3/4" high tent). Because the highest point is under the door frame I don't really see how I can sand it down. That's why I was thinking that I can do a combo of sand, cut the door frame and sand the planks that will lay in that area..

Thanks for your help... MUCH appreciated!