Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Behr Tung/Linseed Oil finish problems
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:42 pm 
New User

A few months ago I installed 7 1/2" pine planks over 2200sf of plywood subfloor. This is a newly constructed home. With much help from this list the installation went very well.

I then set about finishing it and decided to go with a penetratinf oil finish. It was the look that I wanted and would mean fewer sand-and-recoat repairs on this soft, pine floor. I used the Behr Tung/Linseed Oil product at:

http://www.behr.com/behrx/act/view/prod ... s&catId=23

I did not follow the directions quite to the word and ended up with a variety of problems. First, some rooms have a waxy layer on the top. They look good, but have peeled in a few small spots - the top of two coats has. In most other areas where I followed the directions more closely (ie. coat, leave for 15 mins, recoat and wipe away any excess). I must have left a too much on (though I did wipe away all I saw), and now have shiny patches all over the place.

Another problem I have had is that the finish has lapped in a number of places. The contractor suggested I put on a 2" skirt around each room before the baseboards went down. I did. Once the baseboard went down and I finished each room there was a lap mark all around the perimeter of each room.

My questions then are:

1) Does anyone know of any way I can get rid of the shiny patches and/or the waxy coating?)

2) Does anyone know of a way to get rid of the lap marks?

The floors are well protected but it would be nice to get an even look throughout the house.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Topher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:25 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

The only thing I can think of is to burnish/buff the floors (all of them) with the maroon pads by 3M, Norton, SIA, etc. These pads are like steel wool but don't fall apart like steel wool. They will degloss the floors and gently abrade them. Then you will need to apply another coat; this time making sure to remove all the excess after applying. The buffer can be helpful in this. BTW, Behr products are not often used for interior floor finishing. You are finding out why. If this was only a tung oil, I'd recommend using WaterLox but since Behr puts liquid wax in their products, I'm afraid of an adhesion problem so I'd recommenfd staying with the same product. Try doing a small room first to see how the results are before committing yourself to the entire job.