Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Am I being unreasonable?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:01 pm 
New User

I'm in the process of trying to weave into an existing floor we did 4 years ago, but I'm running into problems. The existing floor is a prefinished Stained Pacific Ash with a good UV inhibitor. The problem is that the new flooring (whose codes haven't changed) is so different we thought it was another stain (the base tones aren't the same). When I called with my concerns, I was told that if I sent a few boards in, they could match the existing. Later on I was told that it would cost $150.00. Then my distributor told me that they were going to charge me 20% restocking for the wood I had brought in, and that I was also going to have to pay the freight to ship it back to the mill (a distance equivalent to Washington to Maine) So I'm looking at a total so far of $1478.00 even though the wood was only worth $1614.00 (cost).

To say the least, I'm not impressed. Considering how many floors we've done similarily without any problems, but now I'm being blamed for not "matching", I'm getting pissed.

I realized that I was going to be playing with different dielots, but it was a colourful Ash and normally I should have been able to mix it enough to hide anything reasonable.

I guess I should also say that the product is considered to be from a "high quality" manufacturer, and the site gets no real direct sun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:11 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

A tough call and a tough situation. When I am asked by a homeowner to add on to an existing prefinished floor, I am sure to tell them I cannot promise the new will match with the old in color. Companies dye lots do change and one "run" could look different than another. That is not the manufacturer's fault nor the distributor's fault. The fact is, it is the customer's floor and they should pay for the expense of having a product match. I think the distributor could have agreed to work with you on the re-stocking fee BS. We know that is merely a bogus fee that does not represent a true cost to them but is an attempt to discourage returns. I'd go to the pres. of the distributor on the matter, especially if you buy product from them on a regular basis. And why should the flooring be sent back? Distributors typically get returns and store it, then hold sales to move excess stock items. That particular distributor sounds small fry and with a poor business plan, IMO. I'd play it this way. How much would it have cost the customer in the beginning to have the flooring with the special color match from the manufacturer? If it's an additional amount over what you initially charged, then they should pay that amount. Also, if the distributor will not play ball and insists on those charges and shipping the flooring, I wouldn't do it. Just order the right stuff from the manufacturer ( the custom stained floring ) Take the stuff that didn't match and put it up for sale on Craig's list. If you price it right, it will sell and you shouldn't get hurt as bad as the deal with the distributor. See if you can get the customer to pitch in something as well. In the end, you would be wise to never promise to match an existing floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:43 am 
New User

Thanks for the ideas Gary, but JSYK:

#1 - I never promised to match the existing floor exactly. I explained to the customers that there would likely be a Dielot difference, but that we could rack the floor enough (and using some torn out existing) to minimize how noticeable it is. Keeping in mind that this is a species & grade with huge colour variation.

#2- The original floor has turned out to be as close to a "Honey" stain as it is to the "Whisky" it's supposed to be.
Sadly when we first ordered the wood to match, we forgot what occurred with the stair nosings 4yrs ago.....which was that they came in a very different colour. At the time the manufacturer explained that they had just started subcontracting out the finishing of their mouldings, and that obviously there were some bugs in the system. Because replacements would've taken another month or more to arrive, these Mis-Tint nosings were used. Truth is that the different colour was a nice effect as it highlighted the nosings and looked intentional. The other interesting thing is that these nosings are a perfect match for the first shipment of wood that was ordered to match. (Clearly the subcontractor didn't F***up the nosing colour match, the company did with the floor).

#3- Craigslist is a good idea (if it comes to that), although I'll never be able to sell it for even our cost. Hopefully I could at least sell it for $3.00per sqft which would only have us eating $700.00. Not great, but possibly better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:12 pm 

Well, another possibility to to refuse to accept the order, stating to the distributor and manufacturer that it does not even come close to the sample. If you haven't opened up all the cartons and installed any, you may be able to pull this off. I have had to refuse acceptance of product before due to color variance. Just a thought. And if you did not promise a match to the customer, you could just tell them, "Look, this is what I ordered and this is what we got. You want it or not. " If they say no, tell them they gotta pay for the wood anyway because your contract didn't promise you could or would match the existing floor. I don't see why you should be left holding the bag if
you didn't promise a match to begin with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:51 am 
New User

While I could do all that, at this point I've just resolved to get the floor in, while seeing what I can recoup in extra billing. As I've only quoted for the basic install, but noted that any extra work will charged as incurred, I'm sure I can lessen my pain (still without gouging). We've also done all different surfaces in the house so we shouldn't be backwards for the job. Also considering our small population (10,000), I'd rather just keep the owners as happy as possible (keeping in mind that their renos have been held up 7 weeks because of this, they've been pretty good).
My beef is that I'm even in this position. We've done quite a lot of this kind of work without problems. Now that there is it's my fault?!
I've worked production "paint lines" and these samples aren't anywhere close to what an acceptable deviation would've been. The problem is that our industry doesn't have any standards for stain consistancy, and clearly neither does this company anymore.
I guess I won't be selling any more of this company's wood, and it's unlikely any of the retailers I know will either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:56 pm 

All very good reasons to keep the customer happy. And if you are doing other work in the home, and after all is said and done, you are able to get out of there in ok shape, consider yourself fortunate.

What if you come across another floor that someone wants added on to? You won't be able select from a different manufacturer. So you'll either turn it down, try it again and hope for the best, or suggest ripping everything out and starting over. None are great options.

But I can understand getting burned by a particular brand of something. Every manufacturer has at one point or another dropped the ball in the quality of their product. And today, it seems that they just deny it. IMO, I think they are more afraid of what admitting fault will do to their reputation than the actual cost of taking care of something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:19 pm 
Prized Contributor

One time had to deal with a customer complaint, stating that he felt there was too much colour variation from board to board.
Manufacturer's response: " We didn't make the trees, God did"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:46 pm 
Newbie Contributor

The customer never really "understands" and it will really come down to luck some time as to how they will accept the outcome. IMO, it is how to set their expectations at the very beginning.