Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bellawood Flooring
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:14 pm 
New User

I live in Central Texas. My home was built in 2004. We are looking at Bellawood 5/16 X 2 1/4 Brazilian Walnut Flooring Prefinished Solid Flooring in the living room, dining room, & hallway. This would be a DIY project glue down on concrete slab. We will do the moisture test.
Need some input on this brand wood and glue down on concrete. Also, any concerns on 5/16".
Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:05 pm 
Prized Contributor

Solid over concrete, in Central Texas... BIG RISK. I would steer you towards an engineered with a hefty wear layer. The only reason engineered wood was ever made, was because of concrete foundations, and the known problems associated with soild wood over concrete.

Here are a few pictures of Bella over concrete. Bostiks MVP was used in a couple of those pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:49 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

You should e-mail those pics to Dr. Laura because she is a paid advertiser for LL. Perhaps then she'd stop singing their praises. BTW, the pooch doesn't seem very happy about the floors either! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:38 am 
Site Admin

Bellawood..more bellawood..I've given up on some of the rules. Maybe those pics will help when somebody does a Bellawood search so we don't have to field all the questions over and over again. Looks like playing roulette with Bellawood?

DIY solid gluedown? I have visions of problems and more problems. Best to go engineered if you are inclined to do a gluedown.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Engineered-Recommendations??
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:08 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Many of the engineered woods I have seen look barely better than a laminate. Are there any you can recommend that one would be hard pressed to tell from a solid wood install?? Manufacturer, model?
I am interested in an engineered floor, but have not yet seen one that impresses me. I got samples from BR111 of their Triangulo and then I also got a sample of the same wood in a solid and there is no doubt that the solid looks much better! I am interested in a medium/darker toned wood with definite reddish highlights after it has matured. Our location will have very little, if any UV if that makes a difference. I liked the Santos Mahogany and also liked the Amendoim from the magazine photo I saw, but the sample was much lighter (all BR111).
I don't want to say that cost is no object, but since we expect to live in the house for 30+ years, we are willing to pay for an engineered product that looks and wears at the top levels. Your help and experience are appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:22 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Guys, that isn't really fair is it? That is a bad install. I don't care if it was Mirage....solid over concrete is dangerous. I personally have used Bellawood and Builder's Pride with good results. There is a reason why they rule and it isn't becuase they break the law by knowingly sending out bad product. How many stores do they have? Then look up the BBB record and you will see less than 1 complaint per store over the last 4 years. Now look up some of your most precious favorite brands. Sorry but the bashing really starts to look pathetic after a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:42 pm 
Prized Contributor

It is the guy behind the curtain, yelling, "Yes, you can glue this down to concrete" to the blind consumers. They would never say there is a fine line you walk when doing so, or they would never sell a board.

Works great over the second floor wood subfloor, after months of acclimation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:42 am 
Prized Contributor

Ken, you would be wise to leave all Bellawood discussions on here. It can't do nothing but help you.

As far as the Bellawood is concerned, my only experience is using the solids. I don't turn the work down, but I know what lies ahead for me... far more time consuming. I have no experience with their engineered.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:24 am 
Newbie Contributor

know i'm new to this site , but have been dealing with slabs for over 25 years, i'm not going to touch the bella thing , okay i dont like them , but if the test are done and proper steps taken , glue down works, is it cost effective ,well that is personal, will it work ,yes ,do your tests and use a good sealer ,all day long ,but good sealers cost sometimes as much as the install,but do work ,same with solids,most of the trouble comes from installers that do not do the homework or are worried of losing a sale to do the right thing, cut corners,this is our trade and we can change it ,if only in our little corner of the whole scope ,knowing the products and how to use them is our job , but to me it seems the dollar at times blinds us to the fact,every job is different , knowing the products and the areas we live we can move forward,it is a matter of learning , and sites as this

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:14 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Any brand of solid hardwood over concrete is not good. It doesn't matter who makes the product...bella or anybody else. Even on a perfect install, there's is a really high chance that it will buckle and fail.