Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best finish for antiqued red oak
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:56 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I have 1000sqft of red oak that I plan to 'antique' to help look naturally old and worn.
I am using my ceno satellite on the buffer with brass wire brushes to dish out the grain. The samples turned out to be the dished out grain I am looking for.
Question is: With 2 dogs (80lbs/30lbs), 2 cats, and a 7 year old, what finish will look the best?
Please keep in mind that we all know dogs and cats will naturally use the texture of a floor to get traction (soft grain).
I have only applied glitsa a handful of times years ago when I was a helper and my old bosses talked about how it is the 'best' finish.
I am a fan of waterbase. I used glitsa infinity II in numerous homes. Including the only 2 bedrooms with hardwood in my old rental home and never seen a scratch for the 2 years I lived there. (not a high traffic area though).
But I have also been told that if waterbase does scratch they show up white? That sounds scary with 4 active pets and a kid. I cant be a floor guy with crappy looking floors. (But that's kind of the point of antiquing so it doesn't show wear.)
I am also wanting to use a matte finish and I don't know if I can get that in waterbase. I looked into Bona Traffic but my distributer doesn't carry a matte finish.

Any opinions are appreciated. Im not trying to sound inexperienced, I just haven't had to look at one of my customers floors 2 years after I refinished. But that's good right? :)

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Best finish for antiqued red oak
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:29 pm 
Valued Contributor

Bona Naturalle is matte and just as tough as Traffic. That would be a good way to go if you want max durability .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:54 pm 
Valued Contributor

Rubio Monocoat...SUPERIOR TO ANY SURFACE Finish when pets considered

http://www.flortechardwood.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:34 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys.
I had a lot of discussions with many floor guys in my area and no one seemed confident in what would be best. So after everyones opinions i decided on bona natural. After about 1 month of traffic from my kid, 2 cats and 2 dogs i must say i am very happy.
Although i only did 2 coats to avoid filling in the grain i worked so hard to dish out.
As for color, my wife talked me into dura seals classic grey even though i preferred the weathered oak. I will attach photos soon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:25 am 
New User

WOCA burnished hardwood finishes. Natural products that will accent the patina of old refinished flooring.

Profile E-mail