Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best Finish for Bathroom Oak Floor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:56 am 
New User

What would you recommend for a master bathroom oak floor finish? I have heard some recommend Waterlox, is this really the best way to go? I wish there was something just as good that didn't require the long cure time and so much ventilation. We are trying to do this in Chicago (cold to have a window open) in December. We should have a 130 CFM fan in the bathroom. But if it really is the best, we'll do it.

I don't know if my installer likes working with it, so I might have to have my husband apply it. Installer is strongly recommending water based poly, but from what I read on the net, that isn't the most recommended for a bathroom floor. Is it Waterlox easy for a newbie to apply? We have 130 square feet.

Also, thoughts on red vs white oak? Is there a big difference for a bathroom in terms of performance?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Best Finish for Bathroom Oak Floor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:39 pm 
Newbie Contributor

No comments on finish, except to make sure you have good coverage and all knots and cracks filled.
No real difference in red v white, BUT big difference with grade and width. Bathrooms havee huge swings in humidity, and so with wider boards the minor cupping or gaps that comes with humidity swings will be more visible so go with as narrow as possible 2 1/4" or even 1 1/2" if possible. Also if you can get quarter sawn the way it expands and contracts is more vertical instead of horizontal, again minimizing cupping and gaps.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:52 pm 
New User

Thanks for that tip. I had no idea.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:57 pm 
New User

I don't know if I can get quarter sawn. So would select grade do better than 1 grade in a bathroom?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:35 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Yes, select will have qtr sawn in there more than #1 will. I have wood in my master bathroom, my brother has it in his bathrooms, and in both of our kitchens. The most important thing is that all the plumbing is done right. Do not opt to save $5 by getting cheaper supplies. Get the best toilet wax ring with flange you can find, use stainless braided supply lines everywhere (sink, toilet, fridge, dishwasher, washing machine), double and triple check all supply and waste connections. And if you are as cautious as I am, they sell little alarms that start beeping wwhenit comes in contact with water from a leak.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:34 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I agree w/ above...species doesn't matter. Quarter sawn or quarter sawn/rifted is definitely the best as it will expand/contract less. Narrow boards are better, too.

It's been a long time since we've used waterlox. I'm not sure that it's better, but it's definitely more expensive and typically used for outside, not inside.

Personally, I would have a professional refinish this for sure so that it is done properly and sanded finely for best adhesion and I'd recommend oil based poly.

Here's more info on oil vs. water based poly.
http://theflooringgirl.com/featured/oil ... loors.html

This, of course, assumes that you are doing hardwood in the bathroom. I would not recommend that unless it's a powder room. I'd be more inclined to do tile, or tile that looks like a hardwood.

Profile E-mail