Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best finish for a German Shepherd
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:53 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hi everyone,
I have a customer that hired me to install hardwood flooring in her whole house starting next week. She is concerned about her very large german Shepherd scratching the new floors. The dog appears mellow to me, she is well trained and follows commands to sit and stay. She is having me install 3 1/4" white oak. So I figured poloplaz primero would be a great finish to use.
Now her interior designer is calling me explaining that a waterbased finish is what she will want used to avoid ambering.
Ok. So I am a huge fan of glitsa infinity 2. But 6 months ago I used it for a family with 2 energetic siberian huskies and they're floor is scratched all over.

What is a good finish to use on her floor that doesnt cost $100+ a gallon?

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Best finish for a German Shepherd
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:03 am 
Worthy Contributor

If using water based, I'd say Bona Traffic is the best way to go, but yes, it's more expensive. Alternatively, maybe Bona Mega.

I would explain the differences between oil vs. water in durability (and price) and explain how much extra it would cost to use Bona Traffic so that they can make informed decision.

BTW, when I gave an estimate, I do specify if water or oil based and this helps both communicate the benefits as well as protect me for later if things change.

Debbie Gartner, aka The Flooring Girl
http://TheFlooringGirl.com
Westchester County NY

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Best finish for a German Shepherd
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:35 pm 
Valued Contributor

Rubio Monocoat..Pallman Magic Oil..Woca Oil etc,.

any one coat oil finish.

think logically..dogs scratch finishes because they are on the surface forming a build and a pallet for their nails to grab.

view a floor vs a deck..let you r dog run all over your deck.

when he is doen do you see any scratches? no because deecks use 1 coat applications(hopefully oil that penetrate.the dogs nails only make contact with actual wood surface. they dont slip as there is natural texture and they arent constantly trying to dig in for traction.

the next advantage is easy repair and when I say easy..a monkey awaiting a reward could fix it.

with endless pallet and effects especially with white oak that can be created, a green finish, no odor .extremely durable, practical and easy to fix..

BUT NOT CHEAP..150.00 plus a liter with AVG coverage of about 400 sf on oak and 250 on pine.

no traditional surface finish will resist that..honestly I still oil based poly doing way better in this circumstance than any waterbased.its all hype by the finish companies..no waterbase is doing well against dogs.

there are good finishes but no way do they out perform oils like they would have you believe..Bona being the biggest culprit of them all..great marketing

http://www.flortechardwood.net

Profile E-mail